Passed VCAP5-DCD

NetJunkie

[H]F Junkie
Just passed the VCAP5-DCD exam. Took a little over 2 hours. If you took the VCAP4-DCD then this will be very familiar...just a slightly revised version. I hate these exams...not a fan of the question types.

gratz!!!!

What types of stuff did you use to study? A lab most likely, but any software, like those Train Signal learning videos?

Last edited:
gratz!!!!

What types of stuff did you use to study? A lab most likely, but any software, like those Train Signal learning videos?

The DCD is more high level...nothing really to study as far as specific software. It's mainly about requirements, dependencies, constraints, risks, etc. It's just what I do every day for work so I didn't really study anything.

Congrats!

I obtained my VCAP4-DCA this past April, will be looking into getting my VCAP5-DCD by the end of the year.

I hear you on the question style tests, never liked them, doubt I ever will. The DCA on the other hand being lab-based, while challenging, was the most fun I've ever had doing an exam!

The real question is do we get a hat with every VCAP we obtain? :p

vcap.png

I hope not. Occasionally my girlfriend wears mine, and yes, dorks will approach her in awe... immediately followed by disappointment.

Jason, Congrats on your VCDX5 upgrade :)

gratz!!!!

I guess you don't know that he is in some of those videos :)

Keep up the good work NetJunkie.

Last edited:
yay, just passed mine. The caveat is that I failed the beta, but a voucher was provided for a retake. For some reason I figured because I passed it relatively easy on vSphere 4 and I was overly confident on my improved abilities since. Perhaps that made me a little cocky and I blew through it too quick (2hrs)

I am dead confident that the scoring criteria is more difficult this time around. I knew this had to be true when a VCDX who I know is very sharp reported that he just missed the mark also.

Either way, I got a full night of sleep. Woke up at 6am, juiced a bunch of fruits and veggies and used the whole 225 minutes this time and was able to get my score 50 points higher than the beta attempt. Still didn't knock it out of the park, but I'll take the pass.

Time to focus full efforts on the DCA now instead of studying for two exams simultaneously which is a relief.

Congrats.....had to delay my studies because i'm knee deep at the new job right now. They made me take the sales training the first week, VSP and VTSP....was really a waste of time..I just took the module tests and skipped most of the training..the only things I really didn't know were all the programs for partners. I think they finally realized that I had more to offer and the second week I was at a customer sites and doing pre-sales designs. I presented a DR design to a customer last night..customer has Hyper-V and Xen Desktop. We are migrating them to vSphere, implementing SRM and vCOPs...they still want to leverage Xen..I was like..no problem. The IT Director wanted Hyper-V for Xen still and I was like why? What are you gaining managing two technologies? When I showed him our vSphere lab with SRM and vCOPS he was onboard.

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of progression towards getting qualified to implement and sell Cisco UCS, however.. they really push the Dell Blade technologies..while I think they've come a long way, too me UCS is really where it's at.

I have a PoC for 700 stations for VDI with View with the possibility of going to 5000 so that will be exciting.

I was thinking about actually taking the DCD first as well....probably will go this route.

Last edited:
Congrats.....had to delay my studies because i'm knee deep at the new job right now. They made me take the sales training the first week, VSP and VTSP....was really a waste of time..I just took the module tests and skipped most of the training..the only things I really didn't know were all the programs for partners. I think they finally realized that I had more to offer and the second week I was at a customer sites and doing pre-sales designs. I presented a DR design to a customer last night..customer has Hyper-V and Xen Desktop. We are migrating them to vSphere, implementing SRM and vCOPs...they still want to leverage Xen..I was like..no problem. The IT Director wanted Hyper-V for Xen still and I was like why? What are you gaining managing two technologies? When I showed him our vSphere lab with SRM and vCOPS he was onboard.

I was thinking about actually taking the DCD first as well....probably will go this route.

Taking the DCD first probably isn't a bad move, I really stand by the idea that it's almost an exam that you can't study for as it's literally all over the place and no question will ever be as difficult as it is extremely vague. Where as the DCA (to my understanding) has objectives a little more targeted to really practice that will definitely consume time to properly prepare. It sounds like your new position will be providing a lot of the preparation needed.

LOL @ VSP and VTSP, definitely not in the realm for technical guys but it makes sense why sales folks/partners have to take them. I love seeing people put those acronyms in their email signature block.

Congrats!

I got a hat for the VCAP4-DCD but for my 5-DCD all I got was one of those lousy white oval tourist stickers that says VCAP on it and Datacenter Design underneath.

I was hoping to start a $400 hat collection :)

If I ever obtained that I would probably go full nerd and actually put it on my car.

Back