Partitioning with Vista - untouchable free space

rgratto2

2[H]4U
I am having a bizarre issue setting up my hard drive. I had had multiple partitions on my hard drive, 60 gig for my C drive, and the rest split between 2 partitions. I decided that I needed more on my C, and combined the other 2 partitions. I just decided to reformat to extend my C drive by 20 gig.

Thats where I hit a snag though. When I was in the vista setup, there was my 20 gig of free space on my hard drive, but was listed as an "Extended Partition". I couldnt delete it, or merge it with the free space i made by deleting my old C drive. I went ahead with the install and back in vista, I can use the nice disk management tool. The free space is clearly listed between my partitions, but I am seemingly unable to do anything with it. I cant extend any partitions, and if i try to create a new partition out of this 20 gig space, I get an error message saying "There is not enough space on the disk(s) to complete this operation.", even when there is clearly enough space.

It looks like this:

What is my best option here? Go into the command prompt and Fdisk? Try to use a linux live cd and use their partitioning tool? Or is there some other program I should try in windows? Does partition magic work with vista? Thanks in advance.

I tried running disk-part and it said: "The disk management services could not complete the operation." Crappy.

Edit: The webpage loaded very very poorly due to bullshit advertisement. I accidentaly DLed the xp software. Trying again.

Double Edit: But this isnt going to work for me anyways because I cant extend the partition that my OS is running off of while running the OS, right? I think Im going to need GParted

Meh, after lots of messing around, GParted did the trick. Somehow the 20 gig was still at the front end of the 2nd partition, but it wasnt allocated or formatted or something strange. Gparted ran for about an hour and fixed it all up, then i had to do a repair on the vista install. Alls well that ends well i suppose.

Back