Partitioning SSD

sure, ssd badger don't care. Won't make a difference for performance or anything vs HDD as there are no faster bits vs tracks on a HDD. But it will work just fine.

There will be no difference when you partition an ssd or an hdd. But one thing should be mentioned when you clone or backup hdd to ssd, because the special partition alignment of ssd (also, this can be easily solved with software, such as AOMEI Backupper, which has the utility to align partition to optimize ssd). Anyway, there is no need to worry.

I decided to not partition my Samsung 850 Pro yet until I hear from more people who have with no performance effects.

What did you make the partition sizes as ?

Simply split it in half. More than enough space for a dual-boot Win 7/Win 10.

Consider minimizing SSD activity/usage by saving files and installing all programs/games to a hard drive. Also, do not defrag your SSD.

you kidding right?
Simply split it in half. More than enough space for a dual-boot Win 7/Win 10.

Consider minimizing SSD activity/usage by saving files and installing all programs/games to a hard drive. Also, do not defrag your SSD.

No ordinary users will ever run out of cycles during the life time of the SSD these days. When I first got it, I used up 20TB in an year.. But it has been getting lower and lower as the novelty wears off. Almost 4 years on and I am at 40TB and still have 86% life left on my crucial 240GB.. Average block erase count of 1A4.. I got everything on it, I then move it to the hard drive when I need more space.. And yes I ever run defrag on it.. the number of files all over the place causes problem with backup imaging software.. Dont ask why, I have no idea.. but after a defrag the backup program works.. it should make no difference..

Well Let's say it that way.... you can not boot from a Harddrive/SSD without partitioning it. If you format a Harddrive, you actually put one partition on it, ranging from LBA Sector (2048 - Last LBA Sector). This Partition has a "Property" field that stores the Filesystemtype. So without actually reading the partitiondata, you/software can see what type of data/Filesystem a Partition contains. (Say NTFS, VFAT, exFat, Ext2,3,4, LVM, MDADM, ZFS, Recoveryboot, etc...)
So you can basically say in the Partitiontable, "This partition is of Type 07=NTFS" but actually format it with any other Filesystem.
Most Management/Partitioning/Recovery software test for the actual Filesystemtype. But bootloaders for instance don't. because they have to be efficient because of space constrains.
So windows for instance does not boot if it does not find a Partition with id=07 and formatted as NTFS.

Back