Partitioning harddrive in Vista64

oymd

Weaksauce
My main hard drive is a WD 500GB. It is recognized as Disk 1 in Computer management. I used Computer Management to partition it...but the interface was not very friendly...and I guess I made a mistake....

The only option I had was to SHRINK the C drive....and I ended up with 2 partitions...:

C: 320GB...and H: 180GB

So I tried shrinking C again...and the maximum it allowed was 286GB....and I ended up with another I partition: 33GB...

Now I have 3 partitions on Disk 1: C, H, and I....I initially intended to just have 2 partitions..C: 150GB...and D:350GB...

Q:
1- Why can't I shrink C any further...like to 150GB....

2- How can I merge now partitions H & I?

3- Why doesn't partition magic work with Vista64....during installation and when I try to run it...it keeps saying there is a INCOMPATIBILITY with Vista...and when I launch it...it says drive C is BAD...which it isn't..

4- Why is Vista's computer management so lame?

5- How can I fix this issue...

My plan was to have a 150GB partition on C for OS and program files...with a ~350GB partition for everything else...games...video...etc..

Disk 0 is my old ATA drive...it will go into my old machine...I will just copy important files from it...
Disk 2 is my old SATA drive...will go into another PC after copying stuff from it..
Disk 3 is an external Lacie 500GB backup..

NewPicture5-1.jpg

I know i screwed it up...how can i fix this..:D

Thanks...

1. Backup your data - I recommend the built in Windows Easy Transfer, especially if you have a network share to use.
2. Reinstall Vista, at the disk management section of the install wipe and set up your drives the way you want.
3. Import your Data/Settings/Profiles

Problem solved.

Given all the questions you've been asking, you might want to ask a friend who's been using Vista to watch over your shoulder has you are going about this.

I don't normally do this, but I'd probably agree on the reformat option. You always want to start with a blank drive, and then create only the C partition during the install. Once VIsta is installed, then go into Disk Management and set the rest up. You can always reshuffle the drive letters to make them more in order....all except for the system volume.

One more point. Partition Magic hasn't been updated in ages, so there's no suprise it won't work in Vista. PartedMagic is free, updated, and works as well or better than Partition Magic ever did.

I don't get it...why is Vista64 so complicated...

I just want to MERGE the I and H partitions.....

Then if possible...shrink the C partition to about 100GB....do i really need to format to do that?

In Win XP...it was very easy...and partition magic 8 worked like a charm...

I downloaded Paragon Partition Manager 9 trial edition....which works with Vista64 as the site claims......and it refused to merge or shrink C??!!

I will now try PartitMagic....

BTW...I turned off page filing and system restore to be able to do this..

IS THERE SOMETHING IN VISTA THAT PREVENTS PLAYING AROUND WITH PARTITIONS??

thanks for the replies..

Heck...I cant even RENAME the I and H partitions to E and F respectively...

I tried renaming the I partition to E....and as I am writing this...Computer management has been active for now about 10 minutes...the mouse pointer is showing the active blue rotating circle....and NOTHING!!??

Vista x64 isn't complicated. To merge them together, you'd simply delete H, and then expand I out to the full size. PartedMagic will let you resize any of your partitions as well. Cut down on the number of drive letters in use, and disconnect the USB drive. Then it should be very simple to arrange them accordingly.

I checked parted magic...it seems it is LINUX only??
I think I'm going to reaffirm my comment about having a friend look over your shoulder. PartedMagic is a CD image you boot from. I believe it does run a modified Linux OS, but it doesn't matter, because it is a boot disc image.

Read this...

Should walk you through it well enough, it's a bit backwards, but that guide should get you comfortable with how to use it....

I think I'm going to reaffirm my comment about having a friend look over your shoulder. PartedMagic is a CD image you boot from. I believe it does run a modified Linux OS, but it doesn't matter, because it is a boot disc image.

lol...thx for your advice...:D

believe me...I am the MOST experienced user in my friends....:D

that says a lot about my buddies...they consider me a tech freak...heck...i even have a friend who doesn't have an email...

so...basically..I download PartMagic ISO...burn it to a CD..and Boot from it?

Will the rest be clear enough...

Please...can u take the time and help me with this..

will I be able...after merging I and H like u said...to shrink C to about 100GB?

thanks..

To merge them together, you'd simply delete H, and then expand I out to the full size. PartedMagic will let you resize any of your partitions as well

In computer management...RIGHT clicked H...chose delete volume.....

NOTHING for 5 minutes...just the blue circle??

so...basically..I download PartMagic ISO...burn it to a CD..and Boot from it?
Yes, and if you were familiar with Partition Magic's interface, this will be very easy for you to use.
In computer management...RIGHT clicked H...chose delete volume.....

NOTHING for 5 minutes...just the blue circle??
That sounds almost like a corrupt partition and or partition table. Have you tried running CHKDSK on any of these drives?

Yes, and if you were familiar with Partition Magic's interface, this will be very easy for you to use.

That sounds almost like a corrupt partition and or partition table. Have you tried running CHKDSK on any of these drives?

did that...found no problems...did a system restart...and computer mamagement worked like a charm. What could that mean?

Now i have one partition: C: 465 GBs..the whole disk is back to one partition :)

I am now on my mobile phone...when i get home...i'll do the partitmagic thing boot CD..

does it have a windows interface...or more like DOS?

Thanks...please bear with me a little more

It does have a graphical interface, with mouse support.

With Parted Magic...I noticed i have a 1MB unallocated part BEFORE THE C PARTITION..!!??

CIMG9178.jpg

I never saw this in the Vista Computer management...

Could this be the reason of the UNRESPONSIVENESS of any SYSTEM TOOLS I TRY IN VISTA like:
System restore point creation: hangs
Check drive for errors: hangs
Using Paragon Partition manager: Hangs...
and so on...??

Here's the progress....

CIMG9179.jpg

CIMG9180.jpg

I am posting from my laptop...and took some pics off the screen...

Does it normally take all this time??

Thanks..

It does have a graphical interface, with mouse support.

I also failed to mention....

Every now and then...with a restart....the screen goes YELLOW....just after showing the Vista logo....and I have to manually restart....

Or...the restart goes fine...then suddenly the screen colors...CHANGE....and the PC freezes....

this has happened 3 times since my fresh instal 3 days ago....

today...i noticed after a restart...that the colors almost changed for a FRACTION of a second...then went back to normal...and no freeze?...just was ok...

What could be causing this....??

A YSOD...just like the BSOD in XP...??:D

or is it a power supply related issue?

or graphic card?

Nothing is overclocked...temperatures are in the 40s C....ram?...mmm...

thanks

Test the Ram (Vista has a preboot util for this, press F8 during boot), and check the event log for errors, and google/post them.

yep...will do that....

back to the parted project...:D

CIMG9181.jpg

ALL OPERATIONS completed successfully!!

I didn't know what to choose for the UNALLOCATED 380GB partition after the C partition...whether PRIMARY or EXTENDED....checked my laptop...and found it was:

EXTENDED..../....LOGICAL...

So I did that.....

and rebooted...!!:D

However...WINDOWS FAILED TO BOOT!!:mad:

I put in the Vista Ultimate DVD...Chose REPAIR...and here I am....!!:D

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Does this look OK??

Guess the problem is finally fixed!!

Thanks for all the help!!

This PARTEDMAGIC software is quiet nice...they WARNED of the danger of MOVING PARTITIONS....but I had to...due to the 1MB unallocated part before the C....

I guess that is what corrupted the windows installation....

The shrinking took actually a few seconds only...

but its all good...

Thanks again..

I also failed to mention....

Every now and then...with a restart....the screen goes YELLOW....just after showing the Vista logo....and I have to manually restart....

Or...the restart goes fine...then suddenly the screen colors...CHANGE....and the PC freezes....

this has happened 3 times since my fresh instal 3 days ago....

today...i noticed after a restart...that the colors almost changed for a FRACTION of a second...then went back to normal...and no freeze?...just was ok...

What could be causing this....??

A YSOD...just like the BSOD in XP...??:D

or is it a power supply related issue?

or graphic card?

Nothing is overclocked...temperatures are in the 40s C....ram?...mmm...

thanks

any ideas on this issue??

I updated a few pics of the FREEZE....

its either this...or a blank yellow screen....

ONLY happens at restart...never during actual use...??

Is this a POWER SUPPLY issue....maybe to the Graphic card?...I am using the PCI to 2 molex connectors that came with the card....both molexes are plugged in....

The Power supply is a 420W Chieftec (came with my Antec/Chieftec) case. Its been working very well now for 5 years...

CIMG9182.jpg

CIMG9183.jpg

Back