Partitioning 300GB!

abudhu

[H]ard|Gawd
How would you partition a bad boy that big?
OS's to be installed:
Windows/SuSE 9.2 x32 verison.

I am not sure how to partition this drive for my brother. Note: I don't break windows down into seperate partions. I just let windows have one big one all to itself, so don't break it down into parition for games, partition for apps and that.

Just looking for Basic Partitions. With a drive that big I am not sure how much to give to each thing.

I would think like 180GB to Windows, 60 to SuSE, and the Rest as a FAT32 for massive windows/linux swap area.

i normally just give 40gb to each OS and then leave the rest for data storage.. i think installing games on a seperate parition is stupid as hell but i never keep my data on my windows partition..

I usually partition my hard drives by how much updating the partition is going to see. That way adverse effects of file fragmentation is lessened (though I'm talking milliseconds so you might not even care).
BTW what do you do with a 60GB swap partition? I don't know much about linux, but a 60GB swap file for windows seems unnecessary.

kbong said:
BTW what do you do with a 60GB swap partition? I don't know much about linux, but a 60GB swap file for windows seems unnecessary.

Well seeing as Linux can't write to NTFS, you need a way to move files. Which is where the FAT32 comes in. My bro does work that involves large file sizes, so I am thinking a medium/large swap partiton would work nicely.

kbong
"BTW what do you do with a 60GB swap partition? I don't know much about linux, but a 60GB swap file for windows seems unnecessary."

Not only is it unnecessary it will probly slow the system down. Windows seems to like to use as much swap space as you let it. My rule of thumb is to take the amount of ram you have and multiply it by 2.5 and use that amount as your swap file size.

i have to say, thats the biggest swap partition ive heard of.....and i thought i had a big swap partition on my secondary puter...sheesh

Oh!

I am so Sorry guys. Confusing use of terminology.
I meant SWAP as in an area (FAT32) to move files to and fro between linux and Windows.
NOT swap as in the swap space it assigns on drives like Virtual Mem, as in NOT the swap you see when you go to Device Manager--Performance.

Swap as in a Physical seperate Drive/Parition, like any other drive.

oh, well that makes everything different......

heh

It sounds to me like you already know what your gonna do with the 300 gig HDD, but if i were you, id ask your brother what he wants first. That is, if he is at all computer literate. But im assuming he is as he will be using linux.
Other than that, sounds good to me....

rebelleader said:
Not only is it unnecessary it will probly slow the system down. Windows seems to like to use as much swap space as you let it. My rule of thumb is to take the amount of ram you have and multiply it by 2.5 and use that amount as your swap file size.
Actually, Linux will deal with as much swap as you want (in 1 or 2gb chunks (on intel anyway)). My dad runs a machine at his work with 1TB of swap+512G ram.

Thread starter: are you going to make a /boot and swap partition for SUSE? you may need to... Other than that, it all sounds about right.

^^
By /boot do you mean a boot loader? Of course. GRUB

Swap for Linux, that usually comes with the basic setup of Linux. It usually allocates 1GB to swap.

Also, yes my brother is INSANELY computer LITERATE. Majored Comp Sci, and works for the government. I'd say he is. He is just timid about installing it, since he has information that can be loss, and seeing as I am always fooling around with my junk, I usually end up knowing how to do things right :)

well shit, if he's that computer literate, make him do it himself. He's gotta learn sometime damnit. I hate it when people know how to do stuff but force others to do it for them cause they dont wanna do it. Although, i have to say, i do this to my little bro to :)...being an electrical engineer after all :) :D

Back