• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Partition resizing software - is it reliable?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
I've got a 1TB partition on my RAID5 array, I'm moving from 5 disks to 8 and would like to have one big partition, but I don't want to risk losing all my stuff.
Is there a partition resizing program that actually works or should I just have 2 partitions?
 
I've had a few things get screwed up with Partition Magic, though they to happen when using the Windows interface not the boot disks. I think it's a good program, but recommend using the boot disks to do the tasks, similar to PowerQuest's Drive Image.
 
Does your raid controller support Online Expansion(OLE)? What kind is it?
What OS? Assuming xp/03 is it a dynamic disk?

Having OLE and a dynamic disk makes things very easy(in theory) all you would have to do is use the raid controller's software to expand the disk.

Personally I've had a bad experience with partition magic. I say "a bad" because I screwed up once, lost data, and haven't tried it again. Good luck.
 
I've had a few things get screwed up with Partition Magic, though they to happen when using the Windows interface not the boot disks. I think it's a good program, but recommend using the boot disks to do the tasks.

That might explain my previous problem :)
 
I've lost data a few times with Partition Magic. Once my fault (power loss during a resize), and the other two times, it just "failed".
If you can't afford to lose the data (ie you don't have a current backup), then you're asking for trouble.
They don't call it Partition Tragic for no reason
 
I was going to repartition a 320G hard drive that had 200G of data.

I decided that the time to repartion while saving the data was just too long.

Deleted the data. Deleted the partitions. Created new partitions.
 
Back
Top