Partition question

Mojo3k70

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this topic should probably be in the data storage section, but I need a quick response. Anyway, Im buying a new motherboard and processor as a quick speed boost but I have too much data and media on my computer so a format is out of the question. If I burned all this onto cd's it would take up half my spindle. :( So my question is, if I partition my drive as lets say a data partition, would there be a way to move the files onto that partition then move them back after I format the partition with windows on it? Sort of like adding a second drive letter or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

As the post above says, if you have the space on your drive, you can partition and move all of your data over and then format the original. If you don't have the space on your HDD you can add another HDD and transfer your data to that HDD and then format the original.

Actually, you might not need to do any of that, it all depends on how much of an upgrade the mobo is. If you're going from AMD to Intel or the other way around, then it'll take some work. Or if you're going from one chipset maker to another, it'll take some work. But if you're going from an i865 chipset board to an i875 chipset, then you can usually just swap it out. But on to the work part. There is a good thread on Ars Technica (direct link here) on how to do this without repartioning or reformating. Done this several times without a hitch (except the time I uninstalled the mouse right around the middle of the process, then it was a lot of hitting TAB). Just follow the guide and DON'T PANIC.

its a good long term startegic decision
Ive migrated data partitions something on the order of 20 times
the main thing you need to be aware of is that it cant be an extended partition or a logical drive on an extended partition

Primary Partition. Extended Partition. Logical Drives

If you dont currently have unallocated space to create a Primary Partition, you could employ Partition Magic, to resize your current partition.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.. It seems my options are quite open. I am changing chipsets (SiS 735 to NForce 2) so a format will certainly be needed.

Back