Partial HTPC Build - Comments welcomed!

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
220
Hey all. I saw in an earlier thread, somebody posted a newegg combo on an AMD 245 Regor and Zotac 8200 board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...ickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&ItemList=Combo.216717)

Now I know the Zotac doesn't have an HDMI output so I searched around and found an ATI 4350 from ZZF for $20 AR.

Lastly, I'm adding this psu into the mix. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008)

And that's all I've got so far since that's all the deals I can find. I figure I'll pick up the case, memory, and HDD when a sale comes around.

Any comments on this partially completed HTPC build? I'm looking to playback my dvd, bluray, and hd-dvd backups which are in MKV containers (w. DD, DTS, DolbyHD, & DTS-HD audio). Will this suffice?

I'm just debating if the savings between the cpu/mobo combo and the 4350 warrant picking them up or is it better to just get a full-feature 8200-based mobo and skip the 4350. Thanks!
 
It depends what kind of case you want, personally I prefer to avoid a graphic card in a HTPC because of the extra heat it generates and the fact that you can't chose the small slim cases which look best IMHO for a HTPC.
 
Not a bad start and that looks like an OK deal, but why go with the Zotac board with pretty good graphics only to add a GPU card.

I agree that HDMI is the preferred method for connecting HTPC and it is too bad the Zotac board did not put that down on the board, but adding a discrete card will add heat to the overall box and likely force you into a larger chassis.

You might consider going uATX (yes it is bigger), but you can get powerful graphics from an integrated set and still fit into low profile chassis like the Lian Li C37.

What chassis were you thinking of going with for the Zotac?
 
The Asus AMD board listed here is probably a better choice for you, it's mATX as well, with a 8300 on-board and HDMI out.
It might be a bit more expensive, but it saves you the separate graphics card and all the heat/space issues that come with it.
 
I was considering this case by Lian Li (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112186) or something of similar size/style.

Java Jack - Is the zotac board not a micro atx board to begin with? I'm confused by your statement. Also, I was adding the graphics card because w/o an HDMI output, I couldn't send out video and the hi-def audio codecs.

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking that was their miniITX board not the uATX version.

I would suggest going with something with integrated graphics and HMDI out. You should be able to find either a 780 based board or 8300 based board that will do that for you.

This would end up costing about the same as the combo + card you are considering already, leave open an expansion slot on the board and have a reduced thermal footprint since you are not adding a discrete card. I don't know if the 4350 you are looking at has an active cooler or not, but if so, then the integrated solution would be quieter as well.

As for the PSU, Corsair makes some nice PSUs. I am particularly fond of the 450VX supply. It is one of the quietest coolers I have ever tested. I use it for almost all my builds.
 
Thanks guys! Guess I'll just hold off for now. I never seem to find the 8200 chipset mobos on sale.
 
It can be a little challenging because there is always new stuff coming out.

I think the next cool board coming from Gbyte using the 785 chipset will be interesting. However, there are lots of cool things in the development pipe right now.

CEDIA is just around the corner so it will be interesting to see what h/w and s/w solutions hit the market.
 
Why do you think the 785 Gbyte mobo is going to be interesting? From what I've read of the 785, it can't do 7.1LPCM thru HDMI so for my needs, that renders it useless. Have you heard some sort of update?
 
The 4530 is just too weak in my opinion. The 4550 has a great deal of oompth to it on a passive system. In my view the 4550 has more value and is worth the extra bit of investment. Especially as that means you can pick up a cheaper combo deal like the 110 one I mentioned in another topic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.216717 As that combo gives you a dual core 45nm AMD.

That board has no DVI or HDMI so the 4550 will fill that role well.
 
It being weaker means nothing if it can still effortlessly accelerate 1080p video...
 
Yea I'm more focused on the 1080p and 7.1lpcm pass-through. I'll never game on this build so I'm not sure what I need the extra "oompth" for.
 
If you don't want to spend the extra 20 USD you wont so have at it. My view still stands however.
 
I was just asking to see if maybe the 4350 was unable to pass through 7.1lpcm or had some issue I was unaware about. Thanks though.
 
Back
Top