Paritioning a harddrive (Unix help)

Bigntasty

Weaksauce
Is there anyway for me to partition a harddrive that is already in use without deleting all the data currently on it?

I have a computer that has a Unix system on it that can't be removed but I would still like to use the computer is there anyway I could partition the harddrive and install windows without losing the data currently on the computer?

Thanx a lot

Edit: Also what software would I need

Short answer: No
Long answer: maybe, but what a pain in the ass that's going to be. First of all, windows likes to eat the MBR in favor of it's own matrix ( ST quote for you all ). Second, you will have to determine what file format it's using and whether that format can be resized. THEN, you will need to find a partition manager that can resize that specific file format. Partition magic is a good place to start.

Keep in mind, when you start mucking about with partition tables, there is a very real possibility of lost data. So I would recommend you NOT do that, and just get a new harddrive.

Be careful. Really. I lost a gig, literally. My 20.4g Fireball is now only a 19.4 Spark. And I still can't figure out how I did it.

I've used partition magic in the past and it worked well. Just keep in mind the operation will take a long time (12 hours maybe) and try your best to make sure there aren't any power outages or anything. Although if you are going to buy partition magic for a one time use thing, you might as well buy a new HD.

aL Mac said:
I've used partition magic in the past and it worked well. Just keep in mind the operation will take a long time (12 hours maybe) and try your best to make sure there aren't any power outages or anything. Although if you are going to buy partition magic for a one time use thing, you might as well buy a new HD.

Partition Magic is a nice program, but not cheap. I luckily got a copy from the place I work. I also wouldn't suggest it if it will be a one time thing.

Bigntasty said:
Is there anyway for me to partition a harddrive that is already in use without deleting all the data currently on it?

I have a computer that has a Unix system on it that can't be removed but I would still like to use the computer is there anyway I could partition the harddrive and install windows without losing the data currently on the computer?

you can use Partition Magic to resize and move partitions
but its a Win32 program (Windows)
and Windows will not read the data on a partition used by Unix,
they would be different file systems,
You could read FAT32 from Linux and Windows however

any idea what filesystem the partition is?

Back