Paranoia thread: what would you do if GPU failed?

Are broken video cards fixable? What typically fails on a gpu? I have only had one fail over the years, it was an original Geforce 256 DDR card. In the past it was better to simply buy a new one. But with the current price situation it might actually make sense to repair.

If my 980 dies then I will just be content with my PS4/Switch for a while. My laptop can play LoL and Fortnite just fine and that is all I really play on PC these days anyway.

Are broken video cards fixable? What typically fails on a gpu? I have only had one fail over the years, it was an original Geforce 256 DDR card. In the past it was better to simply buy a new one. But with the current price situation it might actually make sense to repair.
Solder joints break/fracture due to high temps and temp cycling.
You can reflow the solder in an oven, plenty of people have done this, search the forum.
Aside from that, unless its obvious which component has failed you need someone with a meter and skillz to see if it can become a phoenix.

I think you missed the point. Why couldn't a person throw in a card they had prior to the one failing? Not everyone sells all their gear once they upgrade to the latest and greatest. I still have older generation cards that play current games well. What kind of an PC enthusiast doesn't have extra gear laying around?
Uh, people who sell their old gear to help pay off the new gear?
Not everyone saves every single thing, especially if it can be sold to help pay newer parts off.

Up until very recently, GPUs were the worst investment one could make since they almost never retain their value due to them becoming obsolete so quickly - this notion has only changed very recently.
Sitting on old hardware "just in case" is almost like throwing money away to some individuals, though obviously, not everyone.

I'm not saying keeping spare parts around is bad, as it is good to have a backup (assuming no iGPU is available), but to keep spare high-end parts around which aren't being used and are slowly losing value and becoming more and more obsolete... well, I suppose if one is made of $$$.

Not everyone saves every single thing, especially if it can be sold to help pay newer parts off.

Up until very recently, GPUs were the worst investment one could make since they almost never retain their value due to them becoming obsolete so quickly - this notion has only changed very recently.
Sitting on old hardware "just in case" is almost like throwing money away to some individuals, though obviously, not everyone.

I'm not saying keeping spare parts around is bad, as it is good to have a backup (assuming no iGPU is available), but to keep spare high-end parts around which aren't being used and are slowly losing value and becoming more and more obsolete... well, I suppose if one is made of $$$.

This sums up my view very well. Keeping a gpu was like throwing away money given how fast they used to depreciate. As an enthusiast it makes sense to keep gear handy, stuff like SATA cables, hdmi, USB, flash drives, that sort of stuff.

Take it out back and shoot it with my scary AR15. No really. I would do that. But I have no failed GPUs at the moment so that is not happening, although I do have hard drive I really hate and might take it out and pop it full of some .308.

You guys are splitting hairs over an off the cuff remark. Relax, you will live longer.

I have a 12yo nephew who is super into PCs, which is awesome. I'd give it to him. And then probably scoure the buy and and sell here as well as Kijiji for a poor miner selling a 1070 at a reasonable price.

You guys are splitting hairs over an off the cuff remark. Relax, you will live longer.
You asked a legitimate question, so I gave you a legitimate answer.
Being financially thrifty, as the situation per person depends on it, is not "splitting hairs".

No one said you had to do that, but you acted dumbfounded why anyone wouldn't hang onto every piece of former equipment they owned, and we gave you multiple reasons why.

To quote you from an earlier post in another thread:
The older you get, the less you listen to other people's opinion influencing your decision, and the less you GAF about it. Sell your card for what you want.
I think I will do just that, thanks.

Last edited:
Dumbfounded really? You can't wrap your head around the fact that there are people out there that do in fact have extra parts laying around and their first priority isn't to sell them? Hell, I must have well over 1k in parts but I am not trying to brag about it or sweat it because I can afford it. Others can too. Its too bad you don't have the sense of humor or can appreciate the joke of my original statement, but its no big deal. Its like saying: "Doesn't everyone do that........". I still stand by my original statement, which I found funny, but you want to make some point out of.

what does quoting me from a thread selling your card on your terms have to do with this thread? quit picking a fight.

Last edited:
Take it out back and shoot it with my scary AR15. No really. I would do that. But I have no failed GPUs at the moment so that is not happening, although I do have hard drive I really hate and might take it out and pop it full of some .308.
In. I have more old/uncooperative hardware and 5.56 than I know what to do with.

Dumbfounded really? You can't wrap your head around the fact that there are people out there that do in fact have extra parts laying around and their first priority isn't to sell them? Hell, I must have well over 1k in parts but I am not trying to brag about it or sweat it because I can afford it. Others can too. Its too bad you don't have the sense of humor or can appreciate the joke of my original statement, but its no big deal. Its like saying: "Doesn't everyone do that........". I still stand by my original statement, which I found funny, but you want to make some point out of.

what does quoting me from a thread selling your card on your terms have to do with this thread? quit picking a fight.
I wasn't "picking a fight", I simply answered your original question, as did others.
However, if your original question was intended as a joke, I, and apparently others, failed to see the humor in it, otherwise we probably wouldn't have responded as we thought it was a legitimate question. (I really didn't see the sarcasm, but it's cool)

It's all good, though, no biggie!

My gtx 780 is out of warranty. Should I be concerned about being able to replace it if it fails? With the crypto market causing exploding graphics card prices and having a limited budget. It is an EVGA but I am pretty sure it only had the standard 3 year warranty (purchased August 2014).

Is it true that you have to go down to a 1050ti before you see prices close to retail?

Normally I do not believe in extended warranties but it would come in handy in this situation. EVGA used to give lifetime warranties I believe.

The last few years I've been holding on to my old tick card in case of 'emergency'. Great thing about the new GPU's is that we do have on board graphics which will do in a pinch.

I'd just stop playing newer games until prices come down.

In the meantime, I would just play games on my retro systems.

Back