Paradise Lost

jenkins

Limp Gawd
Some new work. I just returned from Cozumel, Mexico (with my brand-new Nikon D70). It was quite an interesting trip. Everything was fine until about 5 days into the trip when the Hurricane hit, and I got thrown into a Refuge camp in a Foreign country. (No beds, I slept in a courtyard outside of a Mexican school. No food but bread & water.)

Anyways, just wanted to make something for the trip. Let me know what you guys think. I'm still not on par with the stuff ya'll make, but hopefully when I get my Waacom i'll inch slightly closer.

As always I appreciate any comments or criticisms. Thanks guys.

paradise-source.jpg

paradise.jpg

-jenkins

That looks fantastic - great job.

Only problem I have is with the "Cozumel, Mexico 2005" text - something about the font type or size doesn't sit well with me. Minor detail though - it's an awesome original picture and awesome edit.

Thanks. Yeah I'm not too sure about it either. I think i'll prolly nix it for the final cut. Thanks.

Amazing job! I have to know how you did that. I've tried before to get that effect, but I haven't been able to do it. Is there a tutorial somewhere that I can look at?

There is no tutorial that I know of, but if you are interested shoot me an e-mail. I'll give you a play-by-play.

jenkins said:
There is no tutorial that I know of, but if you are interested shoot me an e-mail. I'll give you a play-by-play.

I wouldn't say that -- you'll end up with a huge list of queries!!!

Go on, stick it on the board - please?

lol, ok. Give me a few days and I'll have a walk-through up right and proper. I just wiped my machine and I have to find my copy of photoshop.

jenkins said:
lol, ok. Give me a few days and I'll have a walk-through up right and proper. I just wiped my machine and I have to find my copy of photoshop.

Cool man, I am interested in seeing how you created this effect as well! Great job!

That is freaking amazing! It gives us all something to look up to!

Can't wait to see the "Play-by-Play"! Keep up the good work mate!

I'll tell you honestly, I bought a texture pack and never use it. Well almost never.

The majority of my textures are homemade. You can do alot with acetate, and a scanner. I've scanned rocks, pots, pans, old books etc. Frying pans are especially good for scratches. If you just play around I'm sure you'll find something.

If your looking for good photos, take them yourself. Beyond that, www.sxc.hu has some pretty nice photos. So does www.istockphoto.com .

Looks really good. The only problem i have with it is that the spacing of the letters is not equal.

paradise.jpg

also try some kind of Helvetica font for Cozumel, Mexico 2005

good job

<<< right clicks and sets the first pic as desktop :)

that is some awesome work you did on that pic. I really like they artistic styling

Isn't that kinda nit-picking? lol. It was typed on a single line in Photoshop, so blame arial. As far as Cozumel, Mexico, I wound up changing the color which helps. I'm actually gonna print it (cafepress.com) and for that version it will be gone anyways.

Thanks again,
-jenkins

(sorry for all the typos in the walkthrough, i was tired.)

Actually, if any one is interested, I'm gonna sell it as a framed print at cafepress.com for 15 days. After that, it will be gone. (premium membership is free for 15 days. sorry, i'm a student.)

Let me know. Thanks,
-jenkins

If you have any asparations of being a graphic designer you should have known that. In PS click between the letter and press alt+ the side arrows and the letters by themself will move.

Don't tell me what I should and should not know about photoshop. I'm an 18 year old self taught designer. I didn't have the luxury of expensive books, or a good design teacher. Thanks for the advice, i'll keep it in mind. Just please watch your attitude.

-jenkins

jenkins said:
Don't tell me what I should and should not know about photoshop. I'm an 18 year old self taught designer. I didn't have the luxury of expensive books, or a good design teacher. Thanks for the advice, i'll keep it in mind. Just please watch your attitude.

-jenkins

youre a dumb ass im 19 ive been doing this for 6 years now and im not rich but or have money for books. I just took a graphics design class in community college for 20 bux and learned more then you.

nick_sabatino no i dont feel like a dick cause its true i was jsut suggesting how this dude can improve his damn picture ask any graphic designer and they will tell you the lettering has to be perfectly spaced or else it looks like some amature did it.

As I said before, thank you for your advice.

However, If you are going to continue to insult me and others on this thread I ask that you please do it elsewhere, instead of turning this into a flame war. If you are 19, and you have been here for 4 years, act like it. Insulting everyone that says something minor to you, or even has a differing opinion is the height of immaturity.

-jenkins

jenkins said:
As I said before, thank you for your advice.

However, If you are going to continue to insult me and others on this thread I ask that you please do it elsewhere, instead of turning this into a flame war. If you are 19, and you have been here for 4 years, act like it. Insulting everyone that says something minor to you, or even has a differing opinion is the height of immaturity.

-jenkins

QFT. I have reported your post Tony Montana.. and I hope, as well as most of the others that frequent these boards and have read your posts, that your attitude gets adjusted by any means necessary by the moderators.

-R

rrraaaarr the mods will see that im just saying what i think nothing else :) sorry if you get offended by the truth :) if i get banned or something then so be it life goes on :p

Tony Montana said:
youre a dumb ass

somebody step on your bunny or something?
Youve been a real PITA these last few days and its going to stop
this warning is official and you get the note

thats not a protected opinion its a blunt insult
there are any number of ways to get the same meaning across without breaking the rules

if your pissed off, go beat up a tree or something, dont take it out on the membership
you know better than this

jenkins said:
I'll tell you honestly, I bought a texture pack and never use it. Well almost never.

The majority of my textures are homemade. You can do alot with acetate, and a scanner. I've scanned rocks, pots, pans, old books etc. Frying pans are especially good for scratches. If you just play around I'm sure you'll find something.

If your looking for good photos, take them yourself. Beyond that, www.sxc.hu has some pretty nice photos. So does www.istockphoto.com .

I'm like you - majority of the textures i have are homemade - Nikon D70 with a macro lens :)

I love taking photos, and do try whenever I can - however, i've got a really big problem over this neck of the woods ( UK ) - the weather sucks so i never get shots like that! Last time i managed i was sitting on a beach in Western Australia at 4 in the morning waiting for the sunrise - a year ago now :(

I'm normally a Band Photographer - so everything is always clubs etc, rather than outside. Manage a couple of sureal's though, but nothing i can "tune" to your level!

Just a quick question - which program and version did you use to do that picture?

Congrats again :)

Wolfy

Tony Montana said:
youre a dumb ass im 19 ive been doing this for 6 years now and im not rich but or have money for books. I just took a graphics design class in community college for 20 bux and learned more then you.

nick_sabatino no i dont feel like a dick cause its true i was jsut suggesting how this dude can improve his damn picture ask any graphic designer and they will tell you the lettering has to be perfectly spaced or else it looks like some amature did it.

I have 2 years of fine arts experience and 3 years of Industrial design. You don't know what you are talking about. Further more there was absolutely no need to be a jerk about the whole thing.

Balance, in text does not mean it has to be symmetrical. There are many ways to create balance asymmetrically. Some of the letters in this font, are either top or bottom heavy. They are relatively balanced by moving some letters closer to other. The other design element this type of text kerning delivers is a sense of tension. Tension fits perfectly with both the picture, and the trip, from what I can gather. The negative space between each letter, is nearly perfectly balanced in the original work, as well.

Op, that picture is very well done. I'm impressed with how much you have been able to learn, being self taught. It would seem to me that graphic design should be something you should look into. Your independent nature, of learning, would be great for a freelance driven career. You could also get into something like digital painting. A friend from school now works for an animation studio, and he loves the freedom to bring any atmosphere he wants to a scene.

Tony Montana said:
whats going on here everyone go home i dont even view this thread anymore

So, basically throw a few insults out and forget about the thread. Is that how it works? :rolleyes:

I'm like you - majority of the textures i have are homemade - Nikon D70 with a macro lens

I love taking photos, and do try whenever I can - however, i've got a really big problem over this neck of the woods ( UK ) - the weather sucks so i never get shots like that! Last time i managed i was sitting on a beach in Western Australia at 4 in the morning waiting for the sunrise - a year ago now

I'm normally a Band Photographer - so everything is always clubs etc, rather than outside. Manage a couple of sureal's though, but nothing i can "tune" to your level!

Just a quick question - which program and version did you use to do that picture?

Congrats again

I just used Photoshop CS2. No plugins, No addons.

That sucks about the weather issue you're having. I know a guy in Scotland, who I believe has similar weather, that just runs around and finds condemned buildings to shoot. At least that would solve the weather issue. Either that, or buy and underwater housing. ;)

How do you like the macro lense? I'm thinking about getting one myself.

Thanks,
-jenkins

(montana, i'm not sure how that was meant, but I'm not gonna respond.)

jenkins said:
I just used Photoshop CS2. No plugins, No addons.

That sucks about the weather issue you're having. I know a guy in Scotland, who I believe has similar weather, that just runs around and finds condemned buildings to shoot. At least that would solve the weather issue. Either that, or buy and underwater housing. ;)

How do you like the macro lense? I'm thinking about getting one myself.

Thanks,
-jenkins

(montana, i'm not sure how that was meant, but I'm not gonna respond.)

Hmm, CS2. still stuck on photoshop 7 here - not due for a trip to the states for a month or so and i'm NOT paying £568 for it!

Yeap, thats sunny old Great Britain for you! It's supposed to be summer over here - yeah right :S

Condemned greenhouses during thunderstorms used to be a favorite of mine - setting a mild orange gel on a torch while hiding inside and using a DX10.5mm shooting about every 3 seconds is fun... Got some fantastic shots from that - really surreal. The broken glass was dangerous though in the dark!

Don't tempt me with the underwater housing - nooooooo!

The Macro lens is sweet - i went with the sigma 150 lens - i hate trying to get close to creepy crawlies! Couldn't even consider the Nikon lenses - sooo expense. Don't sell enough photo's to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Which one you looking at?

Nice effects, the finished picture reminds me of a poster-ad for a movie or event of some type.

RandysWay said:
So, basically throw a few insults out and forget about the thread. Is that how it works? :rolleyes:

they are not insults dummio its pointers that will imporve his work :/ sorry if seemed like a downer :/

naa maybe just came off wrong :/ I think "if you have any aspirations" got him mad for some reason i think he took it as "youre shit and youre not a designer yet" o well :/

Tony Montana said:
they are not insults dummio

so whats the deal you have an admin on ignore or something?
another singularly poor choice, in the very same thread

hope your attention to the requisite details improve by tommorow
1 day for ignoring Admin\mod instruction and namecalling

Back