pansosonic HDC-501

apple2gs

Mr. No-Photon
Hello the summer camp I work for bought a pansonic HDC-501 and for the life of me I cannot figure how to edit the videos using imove or adobe premiere it appears as if the camera uses a proprietary format any help would be great

Are you playing the video's off the camera and using the softwares built in capture program or are you justing to find a way to play the recorded media itself?

I can't find an HDC-501, so im guessing your probably talking about the Panasonic HDC-SD1 (probably misread the SD for 50). Anyways, the SD1 uses the AVCHD format developed by Panasonic and Sony. I wouldn't say its a proprietary format. AVCHD is indeed hard to edit due to its compression. I'm guessing your version of Adobe Premiere just don't support this format.

You probably have to upgrade to Premiere CS3 for AVCHD support, but I might be wrong so don't take my word for it.

I can't find an HDC-501, so im guessing your probably talking about the Panasonic HDC-SD1 (probably misread the SD for 50). Anyways, the SD1 uses the AVCHD format developed by Panasonic and Sony. I wouldn't say its a proprietary format. AVCHD is indeed hard to edit due to its compression. I'm guessing your version of Adobe Premiere just don't support this format.

You probably have to upgrade to Premiere CS3 for AVCHD support, but I might be wrong so don't take my word for it.

yeah thats the camera name
I cant believe I misread the name

I am using adobe premiere pro CS3

Unfortunatly you will need to convert it first from AVCDH format to something a little more usable.

Wikipedia said:
The following software can convert the AVCHD format to other formats:
  • Roxio's Toast Titanium 9 can import AVCHD clips and burn them into Blu-ray Discs or DVDs.
  • Canopus's AVCHD Converter can convert AVCHD clips into a format which can be edited using Canopus' EDIUS 3/4.
  • A related tool, Canopus' ProCoder, can perform conversions that produce files which are usable by other video editing applications that do not support AVCHD natively.
  • Cineform also offers the Neo HDV product that allows AVCHD clips to be converted into I-frame wavelet .avi files designed for editing and post-production. These .avi files can be accepted by many popular consumer non-linear video editors, including those from Sony, Adobe and Corel, which has acquired Ulead.
  • Another useful product is CoreAVC, a reasonably cheap and quick h.264 decoder for Windows, which can decode AVCHD as well as a variety of other h.264 formats.
  • MainConcept sells a codec that is recommended for Adobe Premier users.
  • Nero Vision can convert AVCHD files to other formats such as MPEG-2 or AVI and can import them for use in video editing projects. Nero Vision can also export Sony's M2TS format to MPEG-4 files that can be viewed by Quicktime 7.
  • PowerDVD Ultra comes with an AVCHD codec that can be used with AVISynth and VirtualDubMod as described here.[6]
  • There is a transcoder to convert AVCHD into P2, which is a format you can import into Avid Xpress or AVID Media Composer. The transcoder was created by Main Concept and is distributed free of charge by Panasonic. You can download the file from here.
  • Latest version VAIO Editing Components that pre-loaded with Sony VAIO PCs can serve as a plug-in for Adobe Premiere Pro 2 to support AVC-HD import/export and editing.
  • VoltaicHD is a simple yet useful tool to allow you to convert AVCHD files into other useful formats. The PC version allows output to WMV and AVI but is currently limited to the first 2Gb of any file produced by the camera. A Mac version is also available.

Back