Panel quality or resolution?

• 3440 x 1440 QD-OLED

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 3840 x 2160 with lower image quality

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Jumpem

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm curious what people think regarding a lower resolution QD-OLED monitor versus a 4K monitor with a lesser panel?

I old and can't tell the difference between 1440 and 4k. The difference between OLED and any other panel is night and day to me.

I have a 34" 3440x1440 QD-OLED and it's fantastic.

Refresh rates can matter. I like OLED as well though. But if you need "bright", you might go with something other than OLED. It depends. Price might make a difference as well.

If you're going to watch 4k videos an OLED with a 4k panel will be better.

I don't think the image quality of the panels differ enough to be the deciding factor. It comes down more to refresh rate and form factor. If you want 16:9 and 4k or you want ultrawide and higher than 120hz

Refresh rates can matter. I like OLED as well though. But if you need "bright", you might go with something other than OLED. It depends. Price might make a difference as well.
My OLED televisions get plenty bright for me. I am curious about newer sets though.

If you're going to watch 4k videos an OLED with a 4k panel will be better.

I don't think the image quality of the panels differ enough to be the deciding factor. It comes down more to refresh rate and form factor. If you want 16:9 and 4k or you want ultrawide and higher than 120hz
I wouldn't watch movies or TV shows on a monitor. In my case it would be strictly for gaming. Refresh rate would be 144+ on any of the newer gaming monitors. The small differences in one versus another beyond that don't matter much to me.

If you only use it for gaming and media, the QD-OLED is fine but I don't want one for desktop use because of the text rendering issues.

I'd say it depends on a few factors. First and foremost, since you're primarily gaming, is your computer/video card capable of outputting high-frame 4K (if it's not, the resolution wouldn't benefit you anyways), or even if it is, would you be happier with a higher frame rate at 1440p? Another consideration is size. I'm on a 27" and I don't really feel like at this size, 4K is necessary. Had I ended up with 32", I think the 4K would have been more worth it. Overall, though, I think I'd favor panel quality over resolution. My computer is more than capable of 4K, but I still went with a 1440p monitor at the end of the day because of other factors that made it more appealing at this time.

Back