Pandora's have shipped.

Pisses me off a bunch of open source guys can get a proper nub/joystick on a mobile device, yet Nintendo and Sony dont bother.

Cool, just like the last linux based handheld? hrmm...what was it called?...man i cant remember...i wonder why...
oh yeah cuz the only people that even bought into it were slashdot whores.

Cool, just like the last linux based handheld? hrmm...what was it called?...man i cant remember...i wonder why...
oh yeah cuz the only people that even bought into it were slashdot whores.
And this is a problem because? This clearly is a non-mainstream device, made for hackers by hackers.

The problem is that it's very difficult to actually buy one if you want one.

I got the GPH Wiz so I don't see the need for Pandora. It's cool that it can run N64 and PSX(?) though.

Pandora has almost 4x the memory and 5x display pixels though, as well a build in wifi and web browser. It's essentially a miniature net book with game controller built in.

I'd pick one of these up if they start to mass produce and sell them on Amazon or eBay.

Hm...looks cool on paper but I can't imagine getting this over a netbook and a USB gamepad unless size was really an issue (for bus rides or something along those lines?).

I'm sort of considering it to have an ARM Cortex-A8 dev target, but it isn't exactly easy to justify...

Because this is an open development platform, the PSP isn't (with all that entails).

Pretty awesome looking little device, but the problem will forever be that too much of that side of things is a little shady.
Still, you have to hope that other companies can impliment some of what they have there.

The best app that I have downloaded for my Droid is snesoid. Snes games run flawlessly on it. There's also emulator apps available for gba, Genesis, etc. I honestly wouldn't ever even consider looking into one of these pandoras. I admit the n64 and psx compatibility is pretty cool though.

Sense this is basically a Linux Computer can I run games made for Linux on this. I am talking about games like Unreal that had a Linux port included w/ the PC version. I know I wont be able to play anything recently released. I am actually thinking about getting one of these, would be really cool for on the go.

Sense this is basically a Linux Computer can I run games made for Linux on this. I am talking about games like Unreal that had a Linux port included w/ the PC version. I know I wont be able to play anything recently released. I am actually thinking about getting one of these, would be really cool for on the go.

The Pandora specs are as follows:

* ARM® Cortex-A8 600Mhz+ CPU running Linux
* 430-MHz TMS320C64x+ DSP Core
* PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware
* 800x480 4.3" 16.7 million colours touchscreen LCD
* Wifi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth & High Speed USB 2.0 Host
* Dual SDHC card slots & SVideo TV output
* Dual Analogue and Digital gaming controls
* 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
* Around 10+ Hours battery life

Notice how it is running Linux but not on an X86 based CPU? Yeah, you'd have to get the source code and recompile for that platform. I highly recommend that you read their getting started guide before doing anything.

No I am not a developer. No I don't know how to cross compile to alternative platforms. If you do get it compiled and running on a Pandora, let everyone know.

If the benefits of an open platform escape anyone here, then you're obviously outside the target demographic.

If it had a [insert company name] logo on it, people would be singing it's praises. No, it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it is pretty damn cool. If I had the cash, I'd buy one.

Back