Panda Cloud Antivirus (FREE!)

Menelmarar

Supreme [H]ardness
http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/

1. Automatic malware detection and remediation from the cloud in real-time.
2. The use of an ultra-lightweight thin-client agent.

Some aspects sound very clever. Others not so much. Seems like it would use a lot of network bandwidth, seems like the "cloud" would have higher latency than a local virus definition library. But they claim very high performance. Interesting.

Not sure what kind of data they are uploading for evaluation for every file it checks. It couldn't be the entire file... as people have GIGS of files. I doubt they download the virus definition for every file... so I'm a bit confused.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/

Anyone install it yet?

Was going to try it but there is no 64bit version available. 32bit version won't install.

Thread going on about it over at Wilders..where a lot of antivirus hobbyists hang out
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240731

For me, Panda has had a long time reputation of bogging down computers badly, and not having good detection rates. Perhaps they improved things. Dunno, one gut in the above thread said he loaded up 5x trojans on his PC..scanned with this thing..and it didn't even make a peep.

I sent Steve a pm mentioning this this earlier today incase he wanted to post it in the Front Page News section.

I've installed it into a workstation, and am trying it out as we speak. Celeron 1.7, 512mb pc2100, Xp Pro. A scan seems to be using about 35mb ram at around 40% cpu load - idle is 15mb around 2%......these are just initial glances at task manager, not anything official.

The interface is Dummy friendly - plain and simple.

I'll post more as I run around in it.

I used their regular product a few years ago - terrrrrrrible. PITA to manage, PITA to uninstall and updates took 100% CPU for minutes at a time.

Hmm. No user choices of what to do with detections - quarantine, disinfect, etc. It found a IP scanner as a hacker tool, and a wireless network scanner as a trojan - but put a disclaimer that they COULD be used legitemately by an admin (why else would I have them?).......and yet it deleted both without propting me. On the page (flip-side) it shows a place to recover programs deleted by the AV that you want........but there was nothing listed. Glad I have backups of everything.

Keep in mind this is beta, and they have posted they will be addressing the lack of some advanced features shortly.

Hmm. No user choices of what to do with detections - quarantine, disinfect, etc. It found a IP scanner as a hacker tool, and a wireless network scanner as a trojan - but put a disclaimer that they COULD be used legitemately by an admin (why else would I have them?).......and yet it deleted both without propting me. On the page (flip-side) it shows a place to recover programs deleted by the AV that you want........but there was nothing listed. Glad I have backups of everything.

Keep in mind this is beta, and they have posted they will be addressing the lack of some advanced features shortly.

Monkey34 - This is Sean-Paul Correll from Panda. You'll be happy to hear we just released version 2.0 today. I'm not sure if you're still using Cloud Antivirus, but if you not, you might want to give it another try to see if you have a different experience. We’ve fixed the initial slow post-install scan some users experienced, created an “undo” option for the recycle bin and fixed a number of other issues. This version does require a download (after uninstalling the current version).

Full details are on our blog: http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/06/30/cloud-antivirus-beta2-released/

Try it and let me know if you're still having issues. If so, happy to address them here.

Monkey34 - This is Sean-Paul Correll from Panda. You'll be happy to hear we just released version 2.0 today. I'm not sure if you're still using Cloud Antivirus, but if you not, you might want to give it another try to see if you have a different experience. We’ve fixed the initial slow post-install scan some users experienced, created an “undo” option for the recycle bin and fixed a number of other issues. This version does require a download (after uninstalling the current version).

Full details are on our blog: http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2009/06/30/cloud-antivirus-beta2-released/

Try it and let me know if you're still having issues. If so, happy to address them here.

Talk about resurrecting a dead thread. At least you have a good reason. :p

ESET has not been FTW for awhile in my book (detection rates declining, not so light and compact anymore), Avira is better IMO and free. :eek:

If you want to pay, Avira Premium is very nice as well.

Things change quick in the AV/Malware/Spyware worlds.

Granted it lost some of its lightness with v4....but it's still doing well with detection rates.

AntiVir is still quite light, I use it for my freebies....and I've seen the roque AV products slip past AntiVir and hit the system too. They're slipping past every brand out there with the half a dozen new vundu variants coming out per day.

Microsofts new Security Essentials is a product I'm quite excited about...doing VERY well in the charts. Will be my new freebie of choice.

Worth a re-visit.........although with my current schedule, I probably will only have time to check general useability. I'm a bit busy to start looking into detection rates and such right now.

BTW: I never noticed the post-install scan issue.

AntiVir is still quite light, I use it for my freebies....and I've seen the roque AV products slip past AntiVir and hit the system too. They're slipping past every brand out there with the half a dozen new vundu variants coming out per day.

Yup, no one product is perfect in the AV world. But I can say from the charts I have seen ESET is noticeably lower on detection than Avira and now uses more resources...no brainer for me!

For me, Panda has a reputation of reporting too many false positives. If they have improved that aspect I might try it out. Nothing worse than wasting my time double checking if a reported virus is a real one or not.

I’m happy to tell you that we’ve officially launched Cloud Antivirus out of beta as of today. Key updates include a new user interface, improved performance, real-time access to the latest malware detected in our user community, new Web site and online support forums. We’ve also made Cloud Antivirus compatible with Windows 7/64 bits, which was one of the top requests we received throughout the beta.

The download, if you’re interested, is at http://www.cloudantivirus.com.

Any of you using the 1.0 version yet? Any technical issues? If so, post any issues here and I will do my best to address them.

Back