Panasonic’s "Wear Space" Helps People Concentrate in Open-Plan Offices

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The hatred of open offices has led to Panasonic’s latest prototype device, which aims to help people concentrate in distracting environments: developed by the company’s Future Life Factory division, the so-called “Wear Space” comprises a big, curved strip of fabric that cuts off a user’s horizontal FOV by about 60 percent. It is also fitted with headphones for canceling out noise.

The user's viewing angle can be adjusted by pulling or pushing the two ends of the device further apart, or closer together, to narrow or widen the visibility, depending on the desired level of concentration. This partition is fixed around the wearer's head by a pair of noise-cancelling headphones fitted to the inside of the curved body. These are used to block out ambient sounds, and feature three levels of noise cancellation depending on the environment.

2. Sircolby45

Sircolby45 n00bie

It's a cubicle for your head! lol

raz-0, Baenwort, drescherjm and 13 others like this.
  3. Spifford

Spifford n00bie

It reminds me of the blinders you put on horses.

DocNo, Baenwort, tordogs and 19 others like this.
  4. harbingerofdoom

harbingerofdoom Gawd

that would drive me batty having to wear that.
    being in an open office environment would also drive me batty

this makes me happy that i work from home.

5. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

..... lol. STAY FOCUS, GET BACK TO WORK!!!
    Horse-Blinders.jpg

Red Falcon, haz_mat, DocNo and 25 others like this.
  6. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

7. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

A wise man once said: If you don't want your employees to concentrate on work, and think on their feet, then put them in an open space.

8. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Headed here to post this. My last traditional workplace was so loud that it was hard to function. You'd get used to it, hop on the elevator for something and it was like .. wow.. silence.

DrezKill likes this.
  9. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

But a company could pack employees tighter than Southwest Airlines passengers flying economy.
    Won't someone "think of the savings".(n)

The only thing missing is the bit.
    31743_A.jpg

10. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I remember when my first awesome tech job moved over to China and Poland, the people that we were forced to train squeezed 2 employees into a small cubicle, and they rotated shifts through the space so it was always in use. Ugh..

11. James Robinson

James Robinson Limp Gawd

LOL!! Exactly! They are nothing more then Horseblinders, and they've been around for almost 300 years LOL!!

DrezKill likes this.
  12. Pandakun72

Pandakun72 [H]Lite

Don't forget the Coachman's Whip... Gotta motivate those Employees for better Profits...

13. Jailer

Jailer Limp Gawd

Where's the feed bag?

PaulP, The Mad Atheist and Armenius like this.
  14. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Wasn't Yahoo pretty much the one that started this new open floorplan craze with a completely bullshit article a while back?

15. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

So this , this is the first thing that came to mind. Wow where is this world headed..

PaulP and Armenius like this.
  16. mjcutri

mjcutri Limp Gawd

Baenwort likes this.
  17. travisty

travisty Gawd

Oh now I get to feel like a horse!

Armenius and DrezKill like this.
  18. jedijeb13

jedijeb13 Limp Gawd

Not only in the office and tech space, when we built our new lab building 15 years ago they decided to go with an Open Lab concept. Worse thing ever considering cross contamination of samples. Just what happens when admin doesn't talk to the chemist who actually do the work.

Blinders was also the first thing I thought of also :)

Baenwort, PaulP and Armenius like this.
  19. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

...and for after work, when you'd just like to relax without being "nagged" to death:

skygglapp.jpg

Armenius likes this.
  20. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

I can't believe this is real and not part of a Dilbert comic.

21. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Wait, people "like"cubicles? I guess this squarley puts me in the millennial category finally. Cubicles are like horse stables. You can't talk to your coworkers about issues and you are super cramped. Just because it's open doesn't mean it has to be loud. People can respect each other and talk outside or whisper. And a cubicle does nothing for sound prevention anyhow being not walled to the ceiling. Go ahead flog me but I like open area workspaces.

Wrecked Em and motqalden like this.
  22. TheBeelzebub

TheBeelzebub Limp Gawd

you can seriously just wear a hoodie and get the same effect....

23. dkarn45

dkarn45 n00bie

when the shooter takes aim in the office they will never know what hit them

PaulP and Armenius like this.
  24. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Having not worked in the full implementation of this, I hadn’t thought it through.

You don’t even have a desk. Good grief.. I mean even when I’d be onsite with a client for a week they would give me a space to call my own.

25. motqalden

motqalden [H]ard DCOTM Feb 2018

my office just moved to the open concept. It definitely improves the employees around me since they can ask for help more easily, but my productivity is suffering. Bring on the horse blinders!

Baenwort likes this.
  26. Patton187

Patton187 Limp Gawd

Massive conflict and then rebuilding.

27. Smashing Young Man

Smashing Young Man [H]ard|Gawd

A literally blinkered worldview.

PaulP likes this.
  28. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Limp Gawd

Several recent studies have shown that open office plans actually decrease communication and collaboration. Harvard Business Review has an article fairly recently that was floating around on LinkedIn. The open office movement is a fad but unfortunately a fad which will probably stay because it is much cheaper. And let’s be honest - that’s the primary driver.

I’ve worked in cubicles, offices, and open plans. Obviously the offices are the best, but I’d take a cubicle over an open space any day. There are too many distractions and as an introvert, I hate it for many other reasons. I typically have headphones in all day or grab a conference room for a few hours a day to do my work.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Baenwort and Armenius like this.
  29. Krazy925

Krazy925 epeen +11

I googled quickly looking for a source on this. I’d love to see it since I’m friendly with an old senior level person there. It would let me rib the shit out of him.

30. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

5c8a8340a03d012f2fe600163e41dd5b.gif

From 1996!

John721, Baenwort, Burticus and 6 others like this.
  31. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

I worked in the tail end of the "Bell System" from 1996 - 2005.. It had been Western Electric, then AT&T when I hired on. I was literally in a facility that used to house phone repair, from when you got your home from phone from the phone company. It was 2 story, 12 acres under roof.

The senior employees used to tell stories about the workspace from years prior. Everyone had their own desk, but they were in rows and columns, neatly arranged one after the other. Everything was open with no partitions, and the manager was situated like a teacher at the head of the class. When I worked there, the ceilings were still stained yellow/brown from all the smoking that used to be commonplace.

It's interesting to see how all this has evolved, and is currently devolving into trendiness. People can rip on cubicles all they want.. at least people had -some- privacy and a place to call home 8+ hours per day.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  32. IndyColtsFan

IndyColtsFan Limp Gawd

In my area, we have around 12 or so rows of desks, with each row having 4 desks. The managers sit in a cluster of desks at the front. I’m lucky in that my desk is at the front and I have no one across from me, but most rows face another row so you can stare at the guy at the desk across from you. It sucks, but even executives sit in this open plan. It is so dumb.

We have “social hubs” on each floor with free soda and these guys hand out jeans days as “rewards” very frequently. It is embarrassing. If any of you have read the AT Off Topic forums in the past, you may have seen many of my work stories - several people have told me I should write a book because some of the stories are hilarious, in a sad way.

33. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Those kinds of stories are fun in a Dilbert sort of way, for anyone that's been there.

I'm thinking back to my personal library of technical docs.. man. I get that people probably have more electronic access these days, but each employee had shelf after shelf of technical books from training classes. In a sense it was dumb to store those for everyone, but having them hand-marked with notes from training was invaluable. I guess that sort of thing is lost today. Back in that day, we took a ton of 4-5 week training courses (8 hour days). The Bell System was technically organized if nothing else.

Baenwort likes this.
  34. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, can we just get back to having offices?

(well, I have an office, but this is getting ridiculous)

It's pretty apparent that people do not enjoy working this way. Yes, for very specific types of teams that need constant collaboration it can work. However, most people do not function this way, and forcing them to do so is almost sure to DECREASE productivity. Or at least decrease a healthy state of mind.

35. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

we're gonna look so stupid in the future.

oh wait, we already do....

j14uK2p.jpg

36. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

I'm sure my company will move to the open-office concept eventually, and when they do I'll transition to working from home full-time. There's no way I could function at even a fraction of my current level in that sort of environment. Even moving to a cubicle would be pushing it from a distraction standpoint. I'm not too concerned about privacy, my office has a glass wall and I assume IT monitors everything I do on my work machine.

37. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Open plan office workers are cattle, actually.

Baenwort likes this.
  38. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Next up...

Pillow-holiday-blinker-eyepatch-weeping-willow-office-free-shipping-fashion-2015-new.jpg_640x640.jpg

J3RK likes this.
  39. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

Oh, so as much as you socialize to talk about work and stuff, get everyone on the same page and all, you still need some seclusion to be able to achieve peak performance? Who would've thought?!

But that's not why those companies come up with this shit. It's micromanagement gone full retarded. They don't trust you to do your job, and suspect you're doing useless things. It's a way of keeping an eye on you while touting they're forward-thinking!

J3RK likes this.