Panasonic Viera digital audio out is only PCM?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
EDIT: Well, after putting my settings and connections back to the way I had them yesterday (which worked), it still doesn't sound right, so I'm just going to have someone take a look at it. Thanks anyways [H].

Last edited:
If it makes any difference (though I did not see your original question)....

When connected via HDMI, input devices will detect that the TV is only stereo and thus only supply a stereo feed to the TV, which they can only pass on a stereo feed. If you can set your input device to ignore what the display is saying, the TV will pass other formats. I do this with my 360 for example.

Virtually all TV's will only output 5.1 from the internal tuner. Any other source hooked up to it, such as HDMI will be sent as 2-channel PCM.
I think LG is the only major TV mfgr that makes sets that put out 5.1 from other sources, but there are reports of other TV's that will do it.

Virtually all TV's will only output 5.1 from the internal tuner. Any other source hooked up to it, such as HDMI will be sent as 2-channel PCM.
I think LG is the only major TV mfgr that makes sets that put out 5.1 from other sources, but there are reports of other TV's that will do it.

The Panny S1 I have will do it, you just have to turn off the auto detection on the input device.

Back