Panasonic to Exit Plasma TV Panel Business

Yeah, I used to close the windows so it wouldnt fly away.
My 5+ year old model made no buzzing noise at all.

Did you read the post above yours? Plasmas dont run hot any more.
Plasmas do consume a significant amount of power, though. That energy is used to produce an image, but it's mostly used to produce heat. Whether it feels hot is irrelevant.

Maybe I should frame my Kuro and keep it as museum exhibit.
It's already framed :)

Plasmas do consume a significant amount of power, though. That energy is used to produce an image, but it's mostly used to produce heat. Whether it feels hot is irrelevant.

They are no longer power devices, 120W is pretty low.
My amplifier uses this amount at idle, it doesnt get hot and has no fans.
The surface area of the plasma screen is easily enough cooling area.

More recent plasmas dont use much electricity.
My 5 year old 42" plasma used around 300 to 400W, recent ones are around 1/3 of that.

This newer 50" Plasma test shows the power use.
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42gt50b-201208142085.htm
Around 120W normal use.

REALLY!!! and they are killing it!.. this sucks and did not know that.. I have an older 50inch plasma, love it, but its a punch in the gut @ 500W.. pretty much runs 20hr a day.. I have actually been thinking about replacement for LCD due to energy use (place is where it would be less used, or donate it)

If you live in a warmer climate, you have to factor in the extra cooling costs that are associated with higher power devices and generally the power requirement and heat outputs are pretty linear.

I haven't sold my Panasonic plasma yet, but the two annoyances I have is that its heavy for wall mounting compared to today's ultra-thin ultra-light LEDs and it has I believe five 120mm fans on the back.

My 60ST60 uses 160 watts and generates minimal heat. It gets to 120 in the summer here, so not too worried about the extra cooling requirements. Also, it has no fans at all, completely passive cooling. My receiver uses more juice idle than my TV. Also, it weighs 76lbs without the stand, which is about 10lbs heavier than your average LED TV at the same size. A Vizio LED in the same size is 1.9 inches deep. My 60ST60 is 2 inches deep.

That's one of the huge problems with plasma technology. People base their assumptions based off of 5 or 10 year old plasma technology.

my F8500 HDTV 2013 of the year plasma uses 38 dollars a year if you watch tv 5 hours a day

The LED equivalent from same samsung is 28 dollars.

For the price in KW the viewing experience is way better than any LED made today. Maybe in 2-3 years LED 4k will be worth it . I know OLED is my next upgrade probably in 3-4 years.

The newest F8500 samsung plama is the closest you will get to OLED until next year and i am speaking for the average consumer. No one is going to go out and buy LG 15k OLED 55" screen

They are no longer power devices, 120W is pretty low.
My amplifier uses this amount at idle, it doesnt get hot and has no fans.
The surface area of the plasma screen is easily enough cooling area.
It is amazing how well these stay cool these days. My cheaper 720p plasma gets hotter then my G10 50", which only has two 80mm fans at the top, sadly I think these have burned out from being in Phoenix for a few years :p

Back