Panasonic Announces OLED-Like IPS Display Technology

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The beauty of OLED is that each pixel can be manipulated individually, and Panasonic has figured out how to do that in an LCD display. The bad news is that this technology seems destined only for the expensive professional sector.

…it's making an LCD panel with the precision backlighting capabilities of an OLED. Thanks to a new backlight technology, these panels can turn off the backlight on a per-pixel basis, granting them an advertised " over 1,000,000:1" contrast ratio. Meaning that blacks will be absolutely black while whites could be eye-searingly bright — within the same image — and HDR and colors should look incredibly life-like.

Wonder what the viewing angles are. Wonder if it reduces IPS glow since dark parts of the screen would have less light trying to shine thru the LCDs.

OLED will still be thinner and use less power than an LCD as the LCD will have to power the pixel and the black light where as the OLED just has the pixel. You would also likely still get the glow effect but it would be much less. The benefit of this tech is that it would be brighter than OLED.

The contrast of OLED without the tendency for screen burn-in sounds good to me.

Yup. I'd be angling for this after seeing the extremely aggressive pixel shifting and fuckery on the latest OLED I spent a few days with. Let alone finding an OLED phone without burn in.. I have a feeling if they don't improve it soon, it'll go the way of plasma or similar for larger displays outside of high end. An expensive to make solution that doesn't offer any huge benefit but thickness.

One advantage the OLED still should hold is that of being much more monochromatic. However, now we have a vastly better pixel colour range too soo... we'll see how it works. Personally I find monochromatic generated colour, to be far superior for an individual colour reference point situation. But for white light, a blended wide frequency or many monochromatic colours is superior.

Horses for courses. I wish more people could experience highly monochromatic colour sources.

Yup. I'd be angling for this after seeing the extremely aggressive pixel shifting and fuckery on the latest OLED I spent a few days with. Let alone finding an OLED phone without burn in.. I have a feeling if they don't improve it soon, it'll go the way of plasma or similar for larger displays outside of high end. An expensive to make solution that doesn't offer any huge benefit but thickness.

Unfortunately, OLED sales have been a disappointment so far. As much as videophiles such as myself who loved the Kuro and moved to OLED talk about it, the reality is most people couldn't care less about picture quality. Some $200 LCD with piss poor quality will always sell over a several thousand dollar beautiful display.

OLED is just about reaching the price where I'm comfortable jumping in.
I probably would have picked up a set this year if my finances were a bit better, but I'll be saving up in the upcoming year so that I'll be ready by the fall.

Hopefully they have another input lag reduction. I'm probably 50/50 with games and movies.

Last edited:
If they can actually pull this off and not just inflate the contrast ratio number with marketing bullshit this has the potential to be an OLED killer. Hell, it would kill VA panels too since the contrast ratio was what made it superior to IPS for most entertaiment purposes. IPS has wide enough viewing angle to be watchable in any sensible living room configuration. Also the 1000000:1 contrast ratio, while not infinite like OLED, is high enough to be practically invisible even in dark room. It does not suffer from IR/burn-in of Oled and slow pixel response times of VA panels either.

Back