Panasonic 37PZ85 37" LCD Review

armitace

n00b
Some strange but good info for peeps.

I hooked up a 19" dell crt (trinitron) ran at 1920x1080, Panasonic 37PZ85 ran at 1920x1080, hdmi3(game mode) and more often than not, the panasonic 37PZ85 was faster than the crt(wow!). 0ms lag 8 of 16 times, panny was faster by ~15 ms 5 out of 16 times and slower than the crt by ~15ms 2 out of 16 times. 1 out of 16 times the panasonic was ~30ms faster, which was too strange for me to believe, but even as error and throwing it out, its not bad at all I'd say...

Ran PixPerAn... Best shot looks like a freeze frame with 0 ghosting, worst case is a split between two frames.

There is a mild loss of detail with panning motion, I'm trying to figure if its the screen or my test, however, its an IPS so I wasn't expecting flawless motion, I think my 5ms TN display does have less motion blur, it has 2 afterimages in pixperan in worst case scenario, I'm still investigating this..

Ppl have been complaining about it not having seperate color adjustments, but its available thru the service menu(I don't recommend digging around in there!) by holding down volume down on the unit and pressing the info button on the remote several times, there are also other hidden menus I've found such as hotel mode and picture refresh, neato. Anyone knows what picture refresh would do? I can't detect any differences with it on.

So, in summary, a 37" 1920x1080 screen with less lag than a crt, decent pixperan image, 1to1 ratio, and great customizable colors for under 1k. Too bad it doesn't have VGA input. And I can't view my bios over the DVI connection... I gotta use the s-video out to see it. Oh, and I can't get the backlight to 100%, the user range is like (10%-90%) duty cycle, curious, anyone know why they wouldn't have the duty cycle capable of 100% other than retinal scarring cause its bright enough as is?

Note: I find playing TF2 on a screen this big to be uncomfortable @ arms distance away from the monitor, but videos are phenomenal. I'm not sure why TF2 is uncomfortable on this monitor, I'm still trying to figure that out. (I think it has less to do with the size, maybe I'm catching jitter or some other odd artifact, will look into it more later.) Also, I'm seeing 2 pixel tall horizontal lines that span up to half the screen width that come and go real fast, randomly placed and timed, but very rarely, I'm wondering if its cause I'm using a hdmi adapter on a dvi cable and there is mention that hdcp could cause artifacts if noise is introduced to the signal? No clue. Start Discussion!

The CRT appearing to be slower must be the graphics card's treatment of dual monitors or some other error...

Thank you for sharing your impressions about this set, there's already a +20 page thread at the AVS forums that you might want to visit: click here

Can you please verify if it's possible to disable a feature called "Sub-Pixel Control" through that service menu? Apparently this feature is some sort of built-in antialiasing technique that causes font blurring with certain color combinations such as red or blue text over black background, yellow over white, etc.

BTW, the LCD panel designation actually is 37LZ85, PZ is used for plasma displays ;)

Nice, I've been looking for another 37" LCD to replace my old Westy. The Westy will probably go into the guest room. Has anyone compared the 37LZ85 to the LG 37LG50? I'm kind of leaning more toward the panasonic still but wanted more opinions.

Back