Palit GTX 460 2GB 256 bit - $69 @ Fry's

Um I always thought that (Fermi) was a bad word with GPU Enthusiasts?

I needed a cheap video card to pair up with an e8500, so I got the 2gb version b/c the 1gb was in-store only. Thanks

Damn ... shippable option for the 2GBs just went out of stock while I was hesitating

That didn't take long! None of the Fry's in California have them in stock so I guess they're sold out period now. They were both in stock online when I first posted this.

Um I always thought that (Fermi) was a bad word with GPU Enthusiasts?

GF100 (The GTX 480 and 470) had a bad reputation because they used so much power and put out so much heat that they got unbearably loud. The GF104 (GTX 460) also uses a little bit more than than the equivalent HD 6850 but it's only 15 watts more and the stock cooling on the GTX 460 is so good that it's silent most of the time. This Palit one has aftermarket cooling though, it's just a solid hunk of aluminum IIRC, not as good as the stock with two heat pipes.

Not bad at all, the only fault is the stock cooling has bad reviews.
Bought the 1gb version on release, the card itself has been decent but like "closers" referred to the cooling was horrid. The heatsink is just a hunk of aluminum (no heatpipes) that covers the chip, the memory and mosfets are bare. The cooling fan and shroud are the cheap and flimsy. One of the first things I did was install a new heatsink (thereby voiding my warranty),and ramsinks on the ram and mosets. The stock cooling was adequate at best. This being said, once I did the stated work to this card it was very stable and took anything I threw at it. So defiantly worth $59, just realize if your going to OC it's going to take some added expense.

Last edited:
Damn ... shippable option for the 2GBs just went out of stock while I was hesitating

I'm glad I jumped on it when I did then. I don't know how good of a deal this is, but for $75.99 shipped I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off, even if it is an older card. I didn't want to spend more than $100 on a video card either, so I'm content.

I'm glad I jumped on it when I did then. I don't know how good of a deal this is, but for $75.99 shipped I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off, even if it is an older card. I didn't want to spend more than $100 on a video card either, so I'm content.

Get another one, and beat the pants off of any GTX 580 system.

That is what I was thinking..SLI 460's can run into issues with only 1GB of VRAM (see the eVGA 460 FTW dual gpu card), but these that have 2GB would actually offer more performance, and lower power draw then a 1.5Gb 580..

Hah! I actually wanted something that wasn't as power hungry as this 460, but for the price I'm not going to be picky. Two 460's in the setup it is going into would be overkill. I already didn't want to spend more than $100 on a video card, so this one works out perfect.

Back