Painting the Wii Case

shiek

Limp Gawd
Has anyone tried modding the Wii case?

I was reading on painting plastics and it seems that i need to use Vinyl Dye in order to do this best. However, i notice that the wii has a very shiny finish on it. Can anyone give me tips on painting this type of shiny plastic?

thanks

I would think you'd have to scuff the finish so that the new paint will bond well.

Am I right on this one guys?

Come to think of it i've never painted glossy plastic either. :(

scuff it up with some scotchbrite and then paint. Or if you want, the Krylon plastic fusion requires little to no prep work if my memory serves me right.

scuff it up with some scotchbrite and then paint. Or if you want, the Krylon plastic fusion requires little to no prep work if my memory serves me right.

Thats right. But you will get better results with prep work and laquer paint.

I used some sort of paint.... wait it was vinyl dye I think. Worked really well on my DVD and CDROM drives. They were the same kind of shiny plastic, well similar looking.

Back in my days of seriously racing RC cars, we used to dye our wheels and some other nylon/plastic parts by putting them in very hot/boiling water with RIT dye. I have no idea if this might be possible with the Wii case but it might be worth it to try it out on one of the flip covers as they can be bought from Nintendo rather cheaply.

What color you going to paint it?

Reason I ask is that xcm makes replacement shells. They list on their site who sells them. Don't have one for my Wii yet but I've used them for the xbox360 and game cubes before. Seem to work pretty well. Hell Steve looked at their xbox one here

Back