• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Painting Steel?

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 15, 2001
Messages
1,492
I want to paint an el-cheapo case black. I've painted it once, but a lot of paint has chipped off. I just used some craptacular spraypaint from walmart.

My question is, what should I do to fix this (the chipped paint), and what should I do to keep it from happening again?
 
You will need to use an etching primer when painting bare metal, as normal primers tend not to stick so well. You should be able to get it in a can I think.

Normally if you don't need to sand back to bare metal, you can sand the existing finish smooth, and use normal primer over that.

Also, something to note: don't mix different paint types, ie enamal and laquer . Pay attention to the drying times on the can, and after your final coat resist the temptation to do anything with the panels for 48 hours, as it needs that time to harden.
 
Legion© said:
You will need to use an etching primer when painting bare metal, as normal primers tend not to stick so well.

I suppose I can find this at any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot?
 
Yep, you should be able to find it just about anywhere that sells paint. I've always used a compressor and spray gun so I've never had to buy it in a spray can, but I know I've seen it around. Like the guy above said, use quality stuff and you should be fine.
(sorry about the late reply, I've just got me a kitten and she's taking most of my attention until I get her toilet trained)
 
Back
Top