Painting question

Asclepius

n00b
I am gonna start doing a custom mod to a case soon and i am wondering if the different caseing out there now will effect how well the paint will stick to the case and how it will look when i am done. i am looking at like a Lian-Li or a Cooler Master case. also what case would you recomend. One that doesn't have a window and has good air flow. Thx

I'd recommend exploring the world beyond pre-made cases and building your own. If you don't know much about painting, point and spray. Use common sense. Automotive painting is different, don't do it unless you are a pro.

Well, I love my Antec SX1040BII... but be warned, it is a tank. It's like the Hummer H2 of cases, durable but heavy as hell... no window and the airflow works good stock out of the box.

I know how to paint and have had some pratice on a car but we striped it to bare metal no coating left i am assumeing that the case have somesort of finish on them. I might have to look into making my own case i have a good friend that can Tig weld so i can make a alum case.

first spray on some clear automotive primer(3 -5 coats are needed and sand between each coat i use 400 and 800 grit), then spray on some spray paint i reccomend either krylon or plasti-kote( same as primer 3-5 coats sand between each coat), and FINALLY glossy clear coat 1 or 2 will be enough
dont rush it, the more you rush it the uglier its gona become this will take about of a week depending on the size of the case, and i like to wax mines up now and then with some MOTHER's POLISH :D

Why spend the money on a nice alu case like a lian-li if you are going to paint it?

Sand and prime and that should solve any finish problem. As far as painting, just start off to the side of what you are painting, finish off the opposite side. Never stop on the item. Use MANY thin coats. It'll be sweet.
Why spend the money on a nice alu case like a lian-li if you are going to paint it?
This is true too. The paint will counter effect the heat transfering property of the aluminum.

The reason i was looking into the Lian-li is that from what i understand they have the best interior designs to allow the best airflow. I am looking at cheaper cases that i can cut fans in or make the holes bigger for more air flow but the interior design on them kinda suck for cable management atleat what i can see and think

Back