Painting my Sidekick 2 (56K Beware)

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
I bought a sidekick 2 from a guy off of craigslist. The outside of the thing was alright but there were dents on the sides and stuff. So I decided to paint it. I'm in the progress of buying the paint and trying to determine what color.

This is what the sidekick looked like when I bought it:

IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

I let the parts sit in soap and water for 15 minutes:

IMG_6220.jpg

Here it is, all clean and ready to be sanded down:

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

This is what the screen looked like:

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6230.jpg

After an hour and a half sanding it down then putting bondo on, it looks all smooth and dent free:

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6251.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

IMG_6248.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_6246.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6241.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6238.jpg

IMG_6237.jpg

Remember the screen before?

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6266.jpg

I kinda messed up on the sanding part so now I guess I have to do it over again. :(

That's all for now, I'm still deciding on the color paint I should use.

More important than monster pics, is pics in focus...

from the infered pics, looks like a good job

Foocuuus, FOOOOOOCUUUUUUUUSS, hehe.

Take a little more time with you pictures bro...consider using a tripod or even a stack of books or something to steady the camera. It's obvious you are trying to show details of your sanding and bondo job, but they are lost in the haze of an unfocused picture.

BTW, I saw your questions about clearcoat and such in the other thread. Because of the bondo and sanding, yes, I would use a primer. It will help smooth your sanding out and provide a nice even surface for the paint.

Also, the purpose of the clearcoat is to protect the paintjob, so I would use a satin clearcoat - it will protect your paintjob and give you the finish you are wanting.

From what I can tell, you're doing a detailed job so far.

yeah it really sucks (canon sd100) back. 3 years ago, it was a good camera. It's a good camera for point and shoot pictures but focusing close up, it really sucks. I'll see if I can borrow my friends camera.

Size your pics to around 700 width or so. Not everyone has a dell 30 incher ;) Also, they'll load up faster.

I was thinking of a dark gray color (a little bit lighter than black) satin finish of course.

Chameleon isn't bad either. I'll look into it.

Hint for the close-up pictures...use macro.

It's the little picture of a flower, make sure that is turned on. Looks like with your camera you just have to hit left on the directional pad. Should be able to focus at around only a few centimeters. Hope that helps. The camera is fine, just the user is uninformed. :p

Though the pictures are kinda bad it looks like you are well on your way to making it look good as new!

Alright I'm ready to update. So I just got some primer over the weekend and I had time today to prime. Here's the first light coat:

IMG_6453.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6449.jpg

I'm going to finish it off tommorow with several light coats of primer. (Kinda getting dark outside so I can't see)

alright I finished spraying primer on it.

Here are pics:

IMG_6454.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

IMG_6456.jpg

IMG_6458.jpg

I have a problem though. I sprayed about 4 coats of primer on it. The surface has stuff that look like dust particles but it's not. It's the paint. It's not smooth. Did I do something wrong. I tried somethign else in the end. I sprayed closer and slower, and it was smooth but I think the layer was too thick. Should I sand between the coats of primer? Should I sand down this primer? What kind of sandpaper if so?

Try wetsanding with 1000 grit for a little while until you get the desired thickness of primer or get all imperfections out from spraying. Then make sure to wipe off any oil from your fingers before applying the paint.

wiretap said:
Try wetsanding with 1000 grit for a little while until you get the desired thickness of primer or get all imperfections out from spraying. Then make sure to wipe off any oil from your fingers before applying the paint.

Thanks

Yeah, always wet sand your primer coats. If you ever are painting something even tougher, use self etching primer: It forms a better bond with the surface and the paint you use. Also be careful on how much you put on; too thick and your buttons might stick or scrape.

For your screen, wet sand to 2000 grit and then get some 3M plastic polish. It is typically sold in auto stores to polish auto plastics like headlights and stuff. You should be able to buff it out really nice that way.

Sorry to bring up a 2 months old thread but how did it turned out ? I just got a Sharp 902SH and the paint is messed like yours was ... So I guess I'll paint it too.

But I need help. What kinda paint should I use ? Primer ? Sandpaper ? :confused:

I dont know if any one told you but cell phone parts fit tight, so try to make the paint as thin and light as you can.

I like the idea and will love to see the finished product. :)

Back