Painting inside of Lian-Li. What Brand of Paint?

hey, your Lian Li case interiors should be made of aluminium?

Aerosol lacquer paints (spray paints) will be ok; but anodizing should be better.

If you want to go the inexpensive route, rattle-can is the best approach, (either lacquer or acrylic but never mix the 2, (they don’t play nice.) Dupli-color is a pretty good brand for use just make sure to lightly sand your surface first, prime, sand again then paint.

A bit more expensive you can go the automotive paint route, (the paint is more expensive due to federal regulations; in the US,) but you get a much wider choice of colors and depending on where you get it you can get fully customized colors; allowing for a more custom look. I personally think it dries harder/more durable also; same application as above applies.

A bit more expensive than this is powder coating; systems can be had for about $100 USD give or take and the ‘paint’ ranges. Your colors aren’t as custom, (unless you try to mix your own,) and you have to ‘bake’ the product afterwards to get the most solid finish but I’ve heard it’s a really tough finish.

All in all it just depends on how much you want to spend/what end result you are aiming for.

The outside of Lian-Li cases in aluminum are clear coated. I don't know if the inside surfaces are too. If they are, you should give it a sanding to provide better grip for the paint.

I doubt they are coated on the inside. I didn't realize they are coated on the outside until I checked it with a VOM to see if it was well grounded. The clear coat is a very good insulator!

If coated and sanded, you can skip a primer. If it's bare aluminum, you should use a primer.

Auto paint is fine.

Just to scuff up the surface you should be fine with 800/1000 grit, you don't want to leave a lot of marks on the metal; alum is soft enough where a heavier grit will leave swirls/damage it.

After the primer/paint is down you'll want to wet stad your surface with 1000 grit or lighter paper, (at least this is what I typically do.) ;)

Yes, scuff the inside before painting. Scotch Brite pads (or other brand) are great for this.

cmmm9667.jpg

Given how reactive bare aluminum can be, very good chance the interior has a protective coating as well.

Back