• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Painting fans

headala

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
432
Hey, does anyone have any experience painting fans? Can you just paint them, or would you hvae to disassemble them? Would I need to use a primer, and what kind of paint would be best?

Thanks for the help.
 
sand the fan a bit so that the paint can stick better... also use very thin layer of paint as thick and uneven paints can cause the fan blades to be unbalanced, and won't want that to happen
 
oooh, I hadn't thought of that. :-/ I'm not sure I want to risk it; I need to paint a couple of those nexus orange fans a dark blue. Probably will take quite a bit of paint and will probably unbalance the fans....then they're not so silent anymore :-(
 
on an unbalanced fan, silent is the least of your worries..

on high RPM fans they can break off and destroy your components in your PC
 
ocphangaz said:
on an unbalanced fan, silent is the least of your worries..

on high RPM fans they can break off and destroy your components in your PC

The orange ones are under 2k rpm, I wouldn't worry about it, but yes, along with unbalanced rotation, you're also going to cause more air turbulence and it will be more noisy.
 
Make sure to hit it with primer after sanding it... that should cut down on the layers of paint needed.

-SEAL
 
What about that plastic dye stuff that I've heard of people using on plastic case faces and stuff.

If not that, what kind of paint should I use?

On a related note, can anyone recommend similar fans (very silent, but still offer decent CFM's) in 120mm?
 
Back
Top