• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Painting a Stacker STC-01

Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
887
Just jumped on the Blue Stacker at svc for 79.99. I wanted to paint the blue part black. I noticed though that the top of the Stacker is plastic while the front is brushed aluminum. Should I treat the plastic and aluminum differently as I wetsand/paint both of them black?
 
Honestly, yes. I find that unless you are using high dollar automotive paint, most don't stick to plastic. There ARE some made to do so, however. Krylon Fusion, and the Rustoleum one (can't remember the name). Both work pretty well. If you can find it at an auto upholstery shop, vinyl dye will work 100 times better, and there's no way to mess it up. It MUST be the dye, not the "flexible coating" bullshit that has seemingly replaced most of them. I'll see if I can find you some on the 'net.


Easy enough, and the VHT is good shit. Pick your color and enjoy.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...inyl+dye&x=0&y=0&N=+115&searchinresults=false
 
Kil4Thril said:
Honestly, yes. I find that unless you are using high dollar automotive paint, most don't stick to plastic. There ARE some made to do so, however. Krylon Fusion, and the Rustoleum one (can't remember the name). Both work pretty well. If you can find it at an auto upholstery shop, vinyl dye will work 100 times better, and there's no way to mess it up. It MUST be the dye, not the "flexible coating" bullshit that has seemingly replaced most of them. I'll see if I can find you some on the 'net.


Easy enough, and the VHT is good shit. Pick your color and enjoy.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...inyl+dye&x=0&y=0&N=+115&searchinresults=false

Thanks for the help. Yes ... I have used vinyl dye before successfuly in painting drive covers during the time when black covers were rare and beige was prominent. I agree, finding vinyl dye is hard nowadays but thank you for the link you gave me.

One caveat of vinyl dye on plastic is that it is hard to replicate the same finish as painting metal (especially if you plan on making it super glossy). But I will definitely use the vinyl dye if I plan on going for the flat look vs. the glossy look.

I did have access to a professional auto body paint shop (my friend's) but I moved so now I must rely on spray cans.

Does anyone know where to get good high quality self-etching primer for the aluminum? I've been to Home Depot but they don't have any.
 
I have used the Krylon Fusion spray paint and its pretty nice, works on both metal and plastic. BTW is that $80US? Was it on sale or something because I am thinking about getting that case.
 
Hmmm... Aluminum needs to be primed and painted. Self etching primer is great. Any car shop should have it... Get grey primer for a nice black, or silver (hard to find sometimes) for a really DEEP black.

Additionally, you might be able to have it anodized/anodize it yourself (FUN!) for about the same cost as a good paint job...
 
I have used duplicolor spray can paint on the plastic and the aluminum case of mine with no problems but I did have problems with the fusion paint stated above on the case I used it on it never really cured if I put my finger on the paint hard it will leave an actual fingerprint in the paint. The duplicolor has none of the problems like that.Like everyone says prime then paint.
 
Back
Top