Paint on the PCB!

Yes, you read correctly, this is what I get for being tired and wanting to get my paint job over with. :( I have the CM 690 and I'm concerned about the power/reset buttons shorting out or catching fire. I accidental left the damn things connected and yes. I didn't tape it off either. Is there anyway of removing the spray paint without effecting the PCB or am I looking at calling up Cooler Master for a new PCB or buying a new case and replacing the component?

Thanks

Spray paint. I purchased it at Home Depot, it's called RUST-OLEUM: All-surface Paint...The word "all-surface" frightens me right now. I'm wondering if it will be OK. It's on the backside of the PCB and I don't believe there is any metals in paint anymore so it wouldn't have a bridge effect on the solder, I'm not a chemist so if anyone is aware of these chemicals the spray includes the following contents: acetone, liquified petroleum gas, butyl acetate, aromatic petroleum distillate and 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene.

heh you should be fine. i found this chart last semester when i was figuring somethign out, worked out really well for that, and it looks pretty good for you too.

http://www.smartmeasurement.com/en/wizards/flowmeter/flmtr_mag_conductivity.asp

aceton, acetate, and trimethybenzene are all very unconductive (1/8, 1/10000, and 1/2000 the conductivity of distilled water)

you seem pretty safe ^^ the all surface part actuallty makes me think it would be less conductive too.. but theres only one way to find out. ^^

if you want to remove it.. i guess paint thinner could work, but i ahve no idea how that would affect yer eletronics.. although maybe i should..

I remember seeing a post a long time ago where someone spray painted their motherboard and it worked just fine, so I suspect a tiny bit of spray paint won't do any harm :)

I broke open my Video Professor Teaches Modding video and he clearly states you are not allowed to paint PCB under any circumstances.

I also agree with the acetone. This is very commonly used to clean PCBs, and it will take the paint right off.

..and if you're not, show pictures!

Better yet, set up the video camera and hit record before powering up. :D

you might try isapropal (no idea how to spell it) alcohol in the highest proof you can find. thats what i use to clean components.

In general, don't use acetone to clean your boards as it react with plastics. 90% alcohol will do what you need most of the time. Brief contact or spray paints is not that bad as it evaporates pretty quickly. Most boards are cleaned with an aqueous solution these days. There was a time when MEK was not unusual but environmental and handling concerns were more than many companies wanted to deal with.

The rustoleum should not physically hurt anything. If you get it on high speed traces or electrical contacts you may see some strange effects. If you remove the paint, test a small area where it won't matter first. Finally, there's a lot of different solder masks used and you don't want that to come off if you can help it.

you might try isapropal (no idea how to spell it) alcohol in the highest proof you can find. thats what i use to clean components.

isopropyl alcohol. Little weaker than Acetone in terms of cleaning. We use it in the lab to clean things because it is cheaper to buy in bulk in comparison to Acetone. If you want to be extra careful try the isoproyl first, if it isn't coming off then give acetone a go.

;)

Back