Painkiller

cptlongdog

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Messages
63
I saw a review at gamespot that said the multiplayer is alot like the old Quake 3 Arena.Newer graphics,gameplay etc.Is anyone out there playing this in multiplayer and agree w/gamespot assesment?
 
It's a bit old now but when I played it back at release I thought it had a certain visceral charm that most FPS games fail to get right. I thought the deathmatches were very Quake-like too.

You can get it over Steam for pennies now I think.
 
If you haven't played PK, do yourself a favor and get it..........it's an awesome game :)
 
If you haven't played PK, do yourself a favor and get it..........it's an awesome game :)

I think I will get it.I miss a good ole deathmatch.Stress relase type game.Too many bugs w/Stalker,BF2 won`t work w/new pc...same account cd key error,BF2142 memory error message w/vista.So much for new kick ass gaming pc.
 
Definitely! Painkiller is a fun game with great graphics and an excellent supernatural storyline.
 
Painkiller is excellent. The gameplay is a bit simplistic in that it hearkens to the earlier layout of FPS gameplay, like Doom, and Serious Sam's take on that, Painkiller is best compared to Serious Sam. Huge maps, and vast hordes of baddies.

One thing I must mention, take special note of the architecture in Painkiller, it is some of the most impressive mapping I have ever seen. The various locations are individualized, the textures don't carry over between levels. Each level's theme is unique and for that, this game needs props.

And nailing badguys to a wall is too fun. Crackdown's harpoon just doesn't feel as good as Painkiller's stakes.
 
Just make sure you get Painkiller Gold or Black for the expansion as well.

This is one of my favorite, most overlooked FPS's.
 
Yeah, Painkiller is very much a throwback to old style FPS's where you're killing enemies by the thousands. Think Doom 2, Serious Sam, and even a little Duke Nukem...but with a horror twist to the atmosphere.
It's a little overlooked, but it's a well known favorite for hardcore FPS fans.
 
I think its beyond hardcore... it is a complete classic... very nice graphics, very fun gameplay...

you get a gun that shoots wooden stakes and nails enemies to walls.. that alone is worth it... and the most liberal use of a shotgun since Quake 1...

the bosses are very immersive and unique encounters... the enemies are vastly diverse, interesting, and some will actualy make you jump :)

some of your bosses are absolute giants... some are swamp monsters that shoot explosive gas bubbles... etc..etc..etc... each encounter is so unique that this game is just a totaly polished GEM.

do NOT pass this up, its a must-have for any gamer's library... as Doom 2, Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, Quake 1-3, Descent 1-3, G-Nome Project, Terra Nova, SiN, MechWarrior, Terminal Velocity, Unreal Tournament (all), KoTOR 1+2, Serious Sam (all except the latest), and HL1 are... (note my deliberate exclusion of HL2, which for some reason i'm un-able to love)... you could also add Doom 3, Quake 4, SiN Episode 1, or HL2 episode 1 if you want ppl to think you're a die-hard masachist...
 
Painkiller is one of my favourite FPSes ever. Well-designed levels, cool weapons, great graphical engine, excellent texturing(possibly the best I've seen in a game so far, even today), plus the physics in the game adds a whole new level of fun to blowing guys around with the shotgun and pinning them to walls. It's not the most complex game, but it is incredibly fun, which is what matters.
 
My absolute favorite that I still love to this day is that badass "pain-killer" weapon you start out with. How you would spin those damn blades and just chop em down and then shoot its tip out with alternate attack button while its still spinning and nail the ones that are running up to you lol, fun as hell. :D
 
I reinstall that game from time to to time also. Its a great game to just loan and play. The environments were great and the gameplay is simple.
 
Painkiller was awesome tech wise, but it suffered from very poor multiplayer code which made it not-so-popular. The singleplayer is still a blast to play through though and if you can get the multiplayer working right and get enough people playing, it's pretty fun too.

Even after 4 years or however long it's been Painkiller still rates pretty high on the eye candy scale. :)
 
I wanted to like Painkiller. I did, until I played it and realized it was only a series of one "room" after another. It's not at all open, not even as open as Doom 1 for pete's sake. You enter a single "room" full of enemies and you don't pass into the next room until they are all cleared. I would say that this game is completely different than any other FPS I have ever played because of this, and I for one completely hated it.
 
I can`t believe response on this post about this game,lol.I`m ordering it on EBAY because none of my local stores carries it.I just need a good ole ass kickin stress relieveing FPS game. thanks for all the input. Dog out..
 
I can`t believe response on this post about this game,lol.I`m ordering it on EBAY because none of my local stores carries it.I just need a good ole ass kickin stress relieveing FPS game. thanks for all the input. Dog out..

It is a really good game. Reminds me a lot like Doom where thought is not required. Instead, it is pure, blasting fun. :) I just re-installed it again too.
 
Awsome game... its the kind of game Doom 3 should have been

Its also impressive how well coded it is (not important now) but it ran exceptionally good on low end PC at that time

I played it on 1024*768 4x AA/ 8 AF on my back then mid range PC (now its crap end and i still have it xD)

The bosses as mentioned are fucking awesome ... especially the last one :p
Also... the nail gun, works best with slow mo xD... i used that cheat to get everything in slow mo, and it kicked ass
I would shoot a stake on slow mo, and then go around it watching it fly till it nailed the baddie... then u watch the baddie fly around from the impact and possibly nail to a wall
 
Back
Top