• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Painfully Slow!!!!!

hewho

n00b
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
28
Pickup a 4GB USB Micro Center house brand flash drive a while back.
Trying it out yesterday, took over 10 hrs to copy 2.4 GB of files form one
puter, then another 10 hrs to copy it back to another puter.

Is it suppose to be this slow ?


jt
 
Let's see here. Check my math please as I suck at this kind of stuff.

USB 2.0 runs at 60 MB/sec. I'll be generous and say 10 minutes to fill your drive. Maybe longer with the Winblows overhead.

10 hours, X 60 min, X 60 sec = 36000 seconds. 2400 MegaBytes / 36000 seconds gives us 66 Kbytes/sec.

Since that is theoretically slower than the slowest speed in USB 1.0, then yes, I would say you have a problem.

Are you plugging the drive into a USB 2.0 port? And have you tried it in a different computer?

Don
 
Tried it on 2 different computers, same result.
The thing must be bad, returning it in a few days.

Thanks
JT
 
I would stick to quality names like SanDisk, Transcend, etc.



i have several micro center USB sticks, from 1 GB to 8 GB, they run like champs, even washed and dryed them a few times with no data loss, lol
 
I would stick to quality names like SanDisk, Transcend, etc.

I've owned several of the Microcenter branded Thumb and flash cards and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Everyone has a bad one now and then.

I'm sure they will happily exchange it.

Don
 
Back
Top