Votes: 39 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • IDE's are for pussies, Sublime Text, VIM, Emacs, etc ALL THE WAY

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
As topic states, how many of you use paid IDEs (whether you paid for it or your company doesn't matter)

Examples of paid:
IntelliJ
Dreamweaver (not sure if real IDE but...)
Visual Studio

Examples of free:
Eclipse
NetBean
Aptana

I use Visual Studio (though, technically, I could use the beta version for free)

Visual studio 2010pro + resharper.

I've played with VS 2012, the dark theme is really easy on your eyes (normally use an off yellow background). Oh why did they change the shortcuts? I can't imaging anyone sticking to them.

Depends.
If I'm doing .NET, then VS2010, or Obj-C then xCode, if I'm doing pretty much anything else, vim. All my snippets and vim settings are like a well oiled machine.

I've used just about everything over the years, right now it's 99% xCode

I've used all of the items listed in the poll at various moments. I guess my answer is "paid" just by spending most of my dev hours within Visual Studio.

it really depends on what you are coding...
I normally use sublime or notepad++
but sometimes I use eclipse for certain projects

I have my own convoluted system of regex to generate my code for me. Regex also checks for errors in my code so that I don't need to debug.

I bought Aptana Pro back when they offered that. I pretty much exclusively use Sublime Text 2 now though.

I voted yes, but I use both paid and free. Ironically at home I use UltraEdit and at work I use Notepad++ and Eclipse. In the almost five years I've been at my current work, I've never wanted to go through the stupid hassle of paperwork to get authorization to buy an "unapproved" piece of software.

Another totally pointless poll. You've botched it by not having a choice for "both", so you're going to collect flawed data. What are you going to do with your flawed data once you collect it?

I don't understand why this poll is relevant. If you are serious developer who gets paid any reasonable wage, the cost of the IDE is insignificant. You should then be using the best tool for the job regardless of whether it is free or costs money

Another totally pointless poll. You've botched it by not having a choice for "both", so you're going to collect flawed data.
If you use "both", then you use "paid IDEs", which is what the poll asks. This is not confusing.

I use Visual Studio.

I have messed around with free in the past for c++ work, but the compilers, especially 64-bit have never worked quite right. As in, it will compile and run if I use Visual Studio, but will crash if I use a free compiler.

If you use "both", then you use "paid IDEs", which is what the poll asks. This is not confusing.
There is plenty of confusion on this poll, which is flawed for many reasons:
- The poll prompts for a "yes or no" answer, but the user has three choices.
- The "no" and "IDEs are for pussies" responses could be viewed the same as "I do not use a paid IDE."
- Throwing out the "IDEs are for pussies" option, the examples cited for a "yes or no" response are not mutually exclusive.
- The amount of time spent in each application in the segregated lists are not considered.
- What category would other applications, such as Notepad++ and Beyond Compare, fall into?

Perhaps the OP can elaborate on what insight or analysis was intended with the poll. Maybe then we can provide guidance, or at least state whether such a poll could possibly generate useful data. (Off-hand guess is no.)

Last edited:
I think it's just a newb wondering if people/ companies actually spend money on development tools or just make do with open source. al Mac answered this pretty well.

Visual Studio. Free IDEs are just missing so much polish :(

I'd say the only free IDE I use is Eclipse + ADT when I'm doing Android Development. IntelliJ has random/weird issues that I can't be bothered to deal with so I just use Eclipse for android dev work, IntelliJ for any other kind of java work.

Also the OP was just out of curiosity. Nothing else :) Yea the poll is kinda bad but meh :p

Two things may lead to confusion: the first is ambiguity; the second is obtuseness.

The question asked — "do you use paid IDEs" — is not ambiguous.

I don't think I can edit polls but my bad guys for causing so much confusion :( I was just bored and curious I swear!

I use VS2010 for Windows development. (if any one does Windows development in a text editor, I'd be very very surprised).

I use UltraEdit for web development (all open source languages).

I don't understand why this poll is relevant. If you are serious developer who gets paid any reasonable wage, the cost of the IDE is insignificant. You should then be using the best tool for the job regardless of whether it is free or costs money

And I totally agree with this statement. I use a text editor for PHP but PHP is possibly the most simple mainstream language of today. If you have to deal with big complex constructs, an IDE cuts development time up to 80%. The cost of the IDE is insignificant.

And I totally agree with this statement. I use a text editor for PHP but PHP is possibly the most simple mainstream language of today. If you have to deal with big complex constructs, an IDE cuts development time up to 80%. The cost of the IDE is insignificant.

Though, the funny thing is that often times seaching key words is often faster for someone's code I'm not familiar with, at least with web applications.

Day job? Visual Studio 2010 because of the projects being worked on (SharePoint, WPF Apps, ASP.NET). Anything other than Visual Studio would be unacceptable. We are currently switching to 2012- so far so good.

I am a huge fan of NetBeans though. In my own time or on side projects I am usually doing something web oriented with an open technology and NetBeans kills it.

Visual Studio. It really does blow everything else out of the water feature wise.

Were a Microsoft/IBM company therefore we use Visual Studio
and native RPGLE on the IBM mainframe.

We can subset Java on both platforms where needed.

Maximus825 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by soulesschild

I don't think I can edit polls but my bad guys for causing so much confusion I was just bored and curious I swear!

It's only confusing to the
who over-think things.

Most programmers over think things. It's in our nature

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Maybe you guys can help me out. I was looking for an IDE for javascript, right now I am using notepad++ and am really just looking for something that would make me more productive (features that you find in visual studio or eclipse for other languages). Things like auto-complete or anything that would save me time hunting for functions or relevant code. Is there any thing out there that would be preferable compared to a text editor?

Maybe you guys can help me out. I was looking for an IDE for javascript, right now I am using notepad++ and am really just looking for something that would make me more productive (features that you find in visual studio or eclipse for other languages). Things like auto-complete or anything that would save me time hunting for functions or relevant code. Is there any thing out there that would be preferable compared to a text editor?

Sublime Text 2 works great for web development.

Visual Studio Express has great Intellisense for JS. This blog post has a better writeup on it than I could do.

Netbeans for PHP. Notepad++ for node sometimes.

I like netbeans even though with our project at work it uses up 2gb of ram on its own.

I used to use Visual Studio when I did .Net programming. Codewarrior for pascal back in the day. Lots of different tools free and paid I guess over time. Now I mostly just use free stuff.

Back