pagefile on older hdd

darkflames

Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
738
Well, i plugged in our old harddrive that we dont use anyore which is a 40gb 5400 rpm ide hdd. I was wondering if it would be good to set my page file on that instead of my main hard drive which is a 200gb 7200 rpm sata 1.5 hdd. The game i mainly play is battlefield 2 which uses alot of memory and uses the pagefile from my knowledge. Currently have 1.5gb pc3200 ram with amd 64 3200 if that helps.
 
No, in short. A 5400 rpm drive will likely perform worse in random I/O situations like swapping, even as compared to a 7200 rpm drive that's under some other load.
 
Adding more memory is a better way to go; fast disks are still way slower than memory.

An 80GB drive is likely to have low density and thus low STR and further seeks compared to a large disk. If you're doing enough paging, that can make a difference. But like I said, more memory is the best solution to this problem.
 
The game i mainly play is battlefield 2 which uses alot of memory. I used to have 2gb of ram but since one of my 512 sticks died i only have 1.5gb. I was just thinking if i put the page file on the 7200rpm drive would increase the performance a little bit. I could always use the 7200 rpm drive from my sisters computer and give her the 5400 rpm :p. Since i have my graphics are on high, it takes longer to load all the textures on high using more ram, and i didnt know if it would increase performance or load times doing so.
 
You don't want to do that.

During the pageout operation your BF2 is stalled anyway, so paging to the fast disk will NOT interfere with other disk activity on that disk.
 
Basically i dont want to buy another stick of 512 due to saving my money up and buying mabey quad core next year and 2gb of good ddr2 ram. Here are the harddrives that i have.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=83
and
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Har...es/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP2004C.htm

I was thinking of using the samsun 200gb for my os and installing games on and the 80gb western digital for my page file and mabey a few documents. Do you think this would have a little more performance then just having the pagefile and everything else on just the 200gb hard drive? I was also thinking during battlefield 2 map loads, it seems to uses alot of ram and page file so i was thinking that this could also mabey decrease map load times?

Let me know if this would be a good idea and if it would any decrease the map loadtimes.
 
When i was just in bf2 alone it was about 330mb of pagefile. When it was loading a map it went to about 700mb of pagefile. Then in game it was using around 1.08gb to 1.30gb of the pagefile. Without buying a new faster harddrive than the ones i listed and buying new ram, is there anyway i can make it load faster than what it already takes, normally on a 60 slot server im always like the 40 person to join the server, which takes about a minute in a half to load the maps. Ive already tried reformatting my os from home to xp home again then tried xp pro. I could try windows 2000 to see if that might help also. I was just thinking that put the pagefile on the other 7200rpm drive would increase it but it was just a question if it would or not.
 
Back
Top