• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Packetloss possibly from spyware?

TheCAD

Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
581
First, let me say that I generally feel my computers are clean from spyware and such. I use firefox pretty much exclusively and get all my downloads from steam or download.com.

For some reason I am having 10%+ packet loss on on main desktop, yet my new dell laptop when connected to the same cable modem has 0%.
I'm completely baffled to be honest.

I'm in my apartment and have had this problem basically since I moved in, before that the desktop which is having packetloss was on my home network where it performed flawlessly(No packetloss or high pings like it has now) which was with a different service provider.

I have no router. I unplug the network cable, plug it into my laptop and reset the motorola modem....bam 0% packetloss on my laptop. I've done this several times and its no coincidence, there has been packetloss on my desktop every time and never any on the laptop.

I am running scans now, but the computer is not at all slugish and I don't have any popups(its not showing any signs of malware is what I'm saying).

I honestly dunno what is wrong. The only thing I can think of is this:
Time warner Cable seems to have assigned an IP to each computer. Every time I use the modem paired with either computer it has its on IP which is the same every time.
Maybe the IP my desktop has been assigned is getting a bad route and the laptop's IP is getting a good route? If anyone can tell me if this is a possibility that would help.

Also here is a line quality test from yesterday(from the desktop): http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/9a942c8b5cbc/2429276
 
Its possible the network card on the desktop could be going bad. You could try temporarily installing a standalone network card and seeing if it makes a difference.
 
Its possible the network card on the desktop could be going bad. You could try temporarily installing a standalone network card and seeing if it makes a difference.
I thought of that, but don't have on laying around atm.

Do these modems work okay through USB?
 
Done a packet loss test locally, not on the web? (Remove the internet from the equation)
 
The issue may be in the IP stack rather than ethernet. For fun, on the desktop strart > run > cmd > ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and then rerun the line quality test.
 
The issue may be in the IP stack rather than ethernet. For fun, on the desktop strart > run > cmd > ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew and then rerun the line quality test.
I've already done that...when I release/renew I'm given the same IP,subnet mask, and gateway as before.

The local packetloss test seems like a good idea, how do I do that?

Edit: assuming you mean just pinging default gateway...I did that and got some loss(4%), but not as high as if I were pinging a server somewhere. Also the pings are jumping for 7ms to 1000ms when I ping the gateway, which seems bad to me
 
bad nic or firewall configuration on desk? I have had bad luck with nvidia nics in the past of which uninstalling and reinstalling the nic drivers helped for awhile before the thing died completely
 
bad nic or firewall configuration on desk? I have had bad luck with nvidia nics in the past of which uninstalling and reinstalling the nic drivers helped for awhile before the thing died completely

No firewall on...
Its pretty confusion because when it started I know for a fact there were issues with the ISP( had used my laptop and it was getting packetloss). I don't steal peoples wireless, but I logged onto a neighbors and check their line...at the time it was having about the same pings/packetloss/speeds as me. So my assumption was that it must be from the same ISP.

But now it appears everything is fixed with the ISP and my desktop is having problems. The fact that the issue had multiple sources makes it hard to determine what problem was causing which symptoms.
 
Back
Top