Packet loss, my DSL company is a JOKE

slightlyhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I'm about to call Windstream, the shittiest DSL company around. For the last 3 months+ I've dealt with HORRIBLE latency issues around primetime(7pm-11pm). After several phone calls they finally seemed to get me a low latency(all I play is quake 2 which doesn't require a huge amount of bandwidth). Now that my ping isn't jumping from 80->150->96->164 it's great but I still get horrible packetloss. Every single map I play my netgraph in-game shows hiccups. Last night was the last fucking strat. Playing a big match and I get a crazy amount a PL(every now and then is ok with me but it's getting ridiculous)... I have a small screenshot showing the PL.

I'm looking for advice on anything on my end I can try to prevent this bull shit or what I should tell Windstream.. I guess the same thing I just posted or is there language I can use that they might fucking understand that they need to stop charging me for something they aren't delivering. This is shit a cable user should deal with, not DSL.

Any advice?

Also, FUCK you windstream.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

you're not providing any info that could be useful to even attempt to assist you.

where's the packet loss occurring? are you sure the issue is with your ISP, and not a backbone connection, the remote server's connection, or routing somewhere inbetween?

do a trace route to the remote server, what hop does the packet loss start?

Worthless post is worthless.

PS - If you don't like their service, go with another ISP, don't come on here and whine about it. You might start with providing us some useful information.

I will try and help rather than ridicule like everyone else here does.

1. Your modem might be bad? Buy another, one you can take back to store if it ends up not being modem.
2. The line quality on your house/apt is dirty and windstream needs to come out.
3. What router do you have? Might make a huge difference.
4. Your network card in your PC might be going bad? Yeah it happens.

Without any information and nothing more than a rant all I can do is guess?

What you need to do is ping your gateway and see what the response times are. Do an -t so it keeps pinging. Let it run all day and night. If the pings stay constant like they should find another place you can ping like www.google.com and do the same thing. If it runs fine during the say and then latency jumps up at night this will tell you. You can't go by the game you are playing. There are too many variables. Things might be fine as far as Windstream goes and then it goes to shit from them on.

Are you going through a router at your end? Have you tried from different systems?

People love to blame their ISP. And in many cases it is the fault of the ISP.

But consider this; companies like AT&T and Verizon own most of the wire in the US. Your ISP may not actually own the wire that runs out to your house, the F1 and F2 cable pairs, the repeater, the CO, and the DS3 / OCX that connects to your ISP. When a problem happens with your ISP, they have to find out where the issue lies. If it lies on another company's wire that they're leasing, they have to prove to that LEC that an issue exists and goad them into fixing it.

A good portion of my job (which it really shouldn't be since my job is really focused on layers 2 and 3, not physical layer 1) is trying to get other LECs to get the hell out there and fix a circuit for one of our customers. And I'll tell you, it's not easy. Everyone is busy as hell and if they see a circuit clean, no matter how briefly they look at it, they're going to close the ticket.

So this is a public service announcement to you kids that call up your ISP and scream at one of our guys. I want your circuit fixed. I want it working as good as it possibly can. But help me help you. Give me a pile of evidence that something is wrong, because I don't have all day to test your circuit, I've got maybe 15 minutes and if it's testing clean, it's not going to get fixed. Give me something I can use to get one of our guys or one of our PITA LECs to dispatch out for a repair.

If you can show me persistent jitter and packet loss between certain hops, particularly if you can show me a trend (happens during certain times, during rain or wind etc) and show me that you can prove out your network, and not point the finger at us when it's another ISP's fault (this is why speed tests across ISPs suck), I will be happy to do whatever I can to get your problem fixed so I can get it out of my queue and move onto the next person's issue.

TL;DR - Extended pings and traceroutes and patterns to your issue goes a lot further towards a solution than your loud mouth.

PS - I apologize in advance for the bristly nature of this post. I had a long day dealing with people who sound a lot like the OP, and more often than not, the problem lies on their own LAN or they're maxing out their bandwidth or demanding support for something that doesn't involve us. Even when it is our issue, rarely do they understand that it can take time to make a case for dispatch, particularly when a circuit is producing intermittent errors. Give me ammunition and I'll fight for you, just don't fire it at me.

1) What kind of wire is running from the DEMARC to your DSL modem?

2) What kind of modem? Is it a pile of shit?

3) Do you have proper DSL filters installed elsewhere?

4) What kind of router do you have? Does it need a firmware update? Does it suck? If you plug your PC right into the DSL modem, do your problems go away?

5) Bad cable somewhere? Are you using phone cord for the modem, or something good.

6) Is your PC up to date? Does it have a lot of shit running in the background?

7) go to speedtest.net and pingtest.net and tell us what results you get there.

Yep windstream = terrible..

I used to have it at old house(outside of Houston).. and seems like every Thursday nights it would be out for 3-4 hours.. it really sucked. No use to calling windstream too, because their excuse? Oh we are fixing the equipment or oh we are upgrading.... so glad that we moved(still near by) and the area has U-verse.. almost 2 years and no downtime yet.. :D
Sorry I can't help, but your only option might be switching to another ISP if possible :(

Browse any ISP's forums in the US, the result is the same. Our telephone and data infrastructure is terrible.

It is bad becausewe have unchecked monopoly as well as abuse of capitalsm as well as government interfering when not welcomed and government not interfering when welcomed.

It is bad becausewe have unchecked monopoly as well as abuse of capitalsm as well as government interfering when not welcomed and government not interfering when welcomed.

Yep. Monopoly sucks! At old house I only had windstream as a choice, didn't want comcrap either. Sooo glad new house has U-verse as the main one, otherwise I'd probably be going crazy hehe

@slightyhuman - As has been said we need more info. Having worked for local ISP on DSL issues before being told 'Things are slow at 7pm, I know it's on your end' isn't helpful to anyone. Either by showing that there's increased latency between you and where ever you get dumped off their network or by showing them there's packet loss in the same area.

@Electrofreak - I feel your pain, sadly I got stuck with the job of dealing with these issues from layer 1 and up.

@tangoseal + hafnium911 - what's wrong with the monopolies? I've got my own thoughts on this but I'd like to hear what others think.

@tangoseal + hafnium911 - what's wrong with the monopolies? I've got my own thoughts on this but I'd like to hear what others think.

Hope I make sense.. but I don't like monopolies because without them.. There will be a lot more options DSL/cable wise then, because of the more competition, probably a bit cheaper in prices and probably better quality too.. as one ISP will want to be the best so they get more customers then the one that sucks. Like it would be nice to get fios too, but because of monoply, they can't be in this area. Just my 2 cents and not trying to start a flame war :)

Back