Packet Loss in a two computers network (crossover cable used)

I'm having a very strange problem and I'm not even sure where to what to start with for a solution. Its like this....We have two computers in the office and both the systems are connected with a crossover cable. When I ping the other computer there is atleast more than 50% packet loss. Similiarily if I try pinging from the other computer the result is same i.e + 50% packet loss. What could be the problem here? I've been trying all kinds of solutions from the last couple of days without success.

Setup :

Both the computers have Windows XP with SP1 and all the critical updates.
One comp has Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet Adaptor and the other has a Dlink (Realtek Chipset) card.
Both of them are connected with a AVAYA CAT5e cable which is 15mts in length.
The cables have been crossed perfectly. I used the anandtech FAQs to do this.

Sharing is enabled and all the below rules are being followed :

- All PCs have TCP/IP installed.
- All PCs have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled.
- All PCs have the same workgroup.
- All PCs have a unique computer name.
- ALL PCs have network shares defined.
- ALL NICS are on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing are checked on each NIC.
- All NICs have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point). Check at cmd prompt with Ipconfig /all (XP/W2K) or winipcfg (W9X).
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled.
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).

Where could I possibly go wrong?

Thanks

Raj

You have tried replacing the cable, right?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to post what you've tried so far, as it will keep people from suggesting things that you already tried.

Back