Packet Loss Help

Ovreel

Limp Gawd
I'm running a desktop on wireless right now (yes I know wireless=bad for desktops but it's my only option atm) and I'm losing packets like crazy while playing games. So far I've changed the channel I'm on, installed a program called Vista Anti-lag which is supposed to help, and adjusted the antenna position on my card. However I'm still frequently losing packets while playing TF2. My wireless card is the Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI WLAN (Turbo) card, and I'm about 30ft away from my router, and 2 or 3 walls.

I can't help but think it's simply the wireless card which is somewhat weak, because when I run my laptop in the same spot I rarely lose packets like I do while playing on the desktop. So are there any other tweaks I could possibly make? Or maybe any suggestions on a higher quality wireless card?

Thank you

Yep, your laptop is far better designed for snagging wireless than your desktop...namely because the antenna is around the screen instead of sitting next to 20lb's of metal and electronics.

Some desktop wireless cards have extension cords of some kind...or you could just setup internet sharing and use your laptop to share its connection via the network jack.

What wireless card are you running in your desktop?

Since it is only 802.11g, I would seriously consider uping it to at least 802.11pre-n (mimo) or super-g. This will give a considerable boost in not only data transfer rate, but signal strength as well.

Right now, I am connecting through a USB 802.11g Linksys adapter and I can tell you, trying to play games on this vs my pre-n mimo PCMCIA card is a huge difference. This is on the machine in my sig btw.

Also, make sure your wireless router/access point is up high away from any weird lights, electrical lines, and walls (if possible).

I looked at this things specs, and it really does look like an older card. Great for internet, e-mail, and small file transfers/sharing. Gaming? Hell no. If you want gaming on wireless, you NEED pre-n, or if you are on a budget, get a Super-G equivalent card. This is a minimum. Vanilla 802.11g just doesn't cut it for gaming (in most cases).

what's your signal strength? I you just ping your router does it drop packets or do you just notice this in games? You probably don't have very good signal . . .

I've actually got 3-4 bars constantly, which should be fine, but I still lose packets like crazy while in games.

3-4 bars is fine for internets, not for the gaming, that is most likely your problem. if you ping your router repeatedly I bet you are dropping a few packets here and there. Internets will tolerate that, gaming will not.

I'm pinging it right now, and after 300 packets I haven't lost 1, so it's just in games... hmm

So will a pre-n or super g card work with my network? I'm on 802.11b/g

And how might I set up internet sharing by using my laptop to share its' connection? Just plug a patch cable into the laptop?

Red Falcon, do you have any suggestions on specific cards? The only Super G card I'm finding at the moment is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122134 that one

The card itself will have a better signal than b/g will give you. It will be compatible with your existing router. The speed itself may not surpass the router's, but the signal strength should increase greatly. Yeah, gaming on wireless with anything less than an excellent signal (about 90% and above) will grant you lag and/or game errors/disconnections (packet loss).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156172 (needs PCMCIA adapter)

The bottom one will work well and the top one isn't bad either, but both will be waaay better than a vanilla 802.11b/g card in both bandwidth and signal strength.

That D-Link looks great and should help. It says it is certified for Vista, but I'm not sure if it is 64-bit compatible. You may want to do some research before buying it just to make sure.

Get the D-Link over the Belkin, it appears to be better overall.

I just tried it, and for some reason it was sending my core temps through the roof... I hadn't changed any bios settings from when it was running at 50-60C on a full load :\

Putting the network card in and installing the drivers were literally the only things I had done

Back