PA272W Quick Impression

undertaker2k8

[H]ard|Gawd
Just got a new PA272W for testing. Screen is very good overall, no bleed, little glow and no overdrive artifacts.

Only drawback right now I can see is the bottom has a red tint and this is with uniformity compensation set to 5. I think it's the GB-r LED panel to blame here, NEC has done the best they can with this generation of Wide Gamut panels.

If only they had a sRGB version with WLED, it would be perfect all across as WLEDs don't have this tint issue if properly implemented. We need a 27" version of the P242W.

Considering they didn't have it in the last cycle (only WG version of Pro WQHD screen), it may be a bit optimistic to hope for one. Though the EA2724WMi may hold good promise.

Out of curiosity, how is the AG coating? Is it perceivable? What about the sRGB mode? Is it any good?

Coating is very light with no cross hatching or grain, sRGB mode is excellent but has the bottom red tint issue as well due to the GB-r led (though less pronounced than many ccfl wg panels I have seen in the past like u3011).

That is a shame and up to a certain point not really acceptable in a monitor designed for color critical work. Have you considered the possibility of a bad unit?

Having seen this panel in the U2713H, and the 27EA83-D, NEC's implementation is by far the best. There is just something about the GB-r LED panels that never allow a completely uniform screen even with a compensator as good as NEC's. A WLED version would be to die for though. Next bet would be on the S27B971D.

Just got a new PA272W for testing. Screen is very good overall, no bleed, little glow and no overdrive artifacts.

Only drawback right now I can see is the bottom has a red tint and this is with uniformity compensation set to 5. I think it's the GB-r LED panel to blame here, NEC has done the best they can with this generation of Wide Gamut panels.

If only they had a sRGB version with WLED, it would be perfect all across as WLEDs don't have this tint issue if properly implemented. We need a 27" version of the P242W.

Considering they didn't have it in the last cycle (only WG version of Pro WQHD screen), it may be a bit optimistic to hope for one. Though the EA2724WMi may hold good promise.

Did you end up sending the PA272W back, or did you keep it?

I have a feeling the EA274WM is the only 27" version of the P242W we're going to get from NEC.

I returned it, couldn't justify the cost vs performance. Also tried a P242W, unfortunately that one had an impurity in the screen as well (may get another): it is a great screen and very uniform but does have a lot of glow, considerably more than my e-IPS ZR2440W. As far as sRGB screens with uniformity compensators go, S27B971D looks like the only option worth it.

I returned it, couldn't justify the cost vs performance. Also tried a P242W, unfortunately that one had an impurity in the screen as well (may get another): it is a great screen and very uniform but does have a lot of glow, considerably more than my e-IPS ZR2440W. As far as sRGB screens with uniformity compensators go, S27B971D looks like the only option worth it.

NEC does has a standard gamut 27 incher now, at 2560x1440, you know...

^ Yes, the EA274Wmi just came out but so far it's only available at B-rated stores with subpar return policies. Also, it does not have the Uniformity Compensation feature that the P models have, we need a P272W. ArtMarshall: are you listening ?;)

Hello,
have a look at my quick review of Viesonic VP2772 here
It is 27" wide gamut IPS monitor and has no tint issues.

LOL, Viewsonic beats NEC, no way!

In all honesty though the tint is visible mostly on lighter shades and is a feature of all GB-r LED panels and since the Viewsonic doesn't even had a compensation mechanism (and is way overpriced at almost the same as the NEC).

You want to test this? Go to a site like slickdeals and look closely for the yellow shades from top to bottom on the right side , you'll know what I mean.

You make yourself funny.:D
I have both (Nec and Viewsonic) on my desk so I can compare them side by side.
1. I never said that Viewsonic beats NEC
2. VP2772 @ <700 EURO vs. PA272W @ >1050 Euro (>50% premium for NEC here in Europe)
3. VP covers 99% AdoveRGB gamut and has ABSOLUTELY NO tint
4. VP has no uniformity comp, that's true, but uniformity isn't terrible.
My post was just heads-up post. :cool:

I ordered the Spectraview version (not reference) and I was blown away over the hardware, such a massive screen, everything well built, protocol from the factory was at a 0.5 deltaE at the maximum, I was extremely psyched to start using it.

Then I turned it on and my smile became a river of tears. I have never in my life seen a screen with such insane IPS glow, ever. It seems NEC completely ignored any kind of filter on it, 100cm away (my normal working distance) the lower left and right corners are completely discolored (white and red). About 20% on each side. It's not backlight bleed, moving the head makes it go away.
I stood up, around 70 degrees to the right of the screen watching a black image and it's around 50% gray, the glow is just crazy.

Will be sending it back, it was my last hope for a great monitor.

I ordered the Spectraview version (not reference) and I was blown away over the hardware, such a massive screen, everything well built, protocol from the factory was at a 0.5 deltaE at the maximum, I was extremely psyched to start using it.

Then I turned it on and my smile became a river of tears. I have never in my life seen a screen with such insane IPS glow, ever. It seems NEC completely ignored any kind of filter on it, 100cm away (my normal working distance) the lower left and right corners are completely discolored (white and red). About 20% on each side. It's not backlight bleed, moving the head makes it go away.
I stood up, around 70 degrees to the right of the screen watching a black image and it's around 50% gray, the glow is just crazy.

Will be sending it back, it was my last hope for a great monitor.

I'm truly shocked to see this. I think you got a lemon. I can personally vouch for NEC customer support on something like this and what you describe here is certainly atypical of their known QC and QA.

I'd say: Give it one more chance on a swap.

I'm truly shocked to see this. I think you got a lemon. I can personally vouch for NEC customer support on something like this and what you describe here is certainly atypical of their known QC and QA.

I'd say: Give it one more chance on a swap.

Hmm, I was surprised myself, but how would glow differ between screens? I thought it would be the same across screens due to how the model is designed (lack of filter, backlighting etc).
Just for fun I compared it to my Dell 2414H which is my backup screen and I'd say the glow on the NEC is ~50% stronger than on the Dell. Not at all scientific but still quite a massive difference.
NEC support in Sweden is pretty much non-existent so I'd have to try to swap it with the store, which would then put me over the 14 day return window.

Back