PA system plugged into a computer

Im curious.. I want to run PA speakers as the sound system on a computer. Is there any way to do this? What do i need to be able to do it? If it is possible, please give pointers on where to go, what to search for, stuff like that.

please do not suggest a different type of setup, i want to know about PA speakers plugged into a computer, not about some other companies speakersystem made for a computer.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sure. Plug the output from the computer into the input of the amp or mixer. Done this a few times. Not the neatest solution, but it works and it can get loud.

Example amp here, get 2 of these cables and a 1/8"->dual phono splitter. Then speaker cables and speakers. Of course, if you've got some of this, buy stuff compatible with it. Note that these are *not* for nearfield listening, and a complete setup with this will probably be over $1000. But for a large room, it'll make a decent rig. Add in speaker stands if you don't have any; the difference is big.

I dunno. I have different, older equipment. But mine's not bad; it's not cheap stuff and it doesn't sound like it. The primary emphasis of PA gear is volume over accuracy, though. Unless you have a really big living room (60x60?) I'd stick with bookshelf speakers. Smaller, cheaper, not as much overkill, and probably better sound quality.

Stick with Speakon connectors if you can. They're much more convenient than standard 1/4" plugs. I got 1/4" stuff and regret it. Just looking at zzounds right now, the higher-end stuff seems to be what has the Speakon connectors on it. Not a huge surprise; the locking feature alone would've saved me quite a few times.

Back