P965 vs G965 Chipset

lightftl

n00b
what are the real diferences between these chipsets? is one better than the other?
a number of us at the ASUS forum have noted that the Intel Chipset utility IDs our P5B deluxe boards as having the G965 rather than P965 board. A techical inquiry to ASUS only resulted in a direction to have the board RMAd to address the "problem" .. everything is running smoothly with this board and the latest ASUS bios 706 beta for the P5B deluxe board. To RMA or not is the question. The general question is what is a G965 chipset doing in a P965 board at ASUS?

965p overlclocks better... while 965g has onboard and not such a good overclocker.

theoretically shouldnt bios for the two boards be different and there be other differences.problems noted.. im really just following up on this as a matter of principle since I am not really an overclocker and my system is very stable

I didnt buy a G965 board. I bought and ASUS P5B Deluxe board and the intel chipset Identification utility says the chipset is a G965.. The baord is supposed to be a P965. Other purchasers have also reported the same thing. It doesnt make sense to me

Did you look at it with CPU-Z, this is what my GA965PDS3 looks like:

MBVer.jpg

I wouldn't think the 965G and 965P chips are interchangable on a motherboard but someone else should probably confirm this.

interestingly enough i get the same information as you regarding the chipset and southbridge.
i wonder why the intel chipsett ID utility reads it as a G965.. ?

Back