P8P67 won't power on...

Radagast~mod

Limp Gawd
I have had this system running rock solid for well over a month... Got a bluescreen during a game of starcraft 2 today and system had a few more crashes after that...

A few hours later and now the system will not power on. Sometimes nothing when I press the power, sometimes it powers up and shuts off in less than a second... I dont have a PC speaker to connect, kind of cheap of Asus not to put one down on the PCB imho.

My thought is power supply or motherboard at this point. Anyone seen something similar?

I have tried unplugging power, removing the battery and setting the cmos clear jumper... Standby power light is green, mem light flashes once when it tries to start and that is it.

Asus P8P67
Radeon 6950
all ram is 1.5V rated
Corsair VX550 power supply

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra supply right now. I did ground the power-on pin and the fans and disks spin up fine...

Definitely sounds like the power supply. If you have another computer in the house try testing it with that power supply. You can do it without taking out the power supply. I have done it that way by putting the cases side by side. I tested many computers this way without ever removing anything.

Well, looks like it was not the power supply. Picked up a 500W PC Power and Cooling at MicroCenter and still getting the exact same behavior... Time to see which fixed P67 boards MicroCenter has in stock...

Just switched motherboards to an MSI P67A-GD55... Spins fans and stays powered on, but nothing on video.... Tried two video cards, clearing cmos, multiple dimms in multiple slots.... Looks like it could actually be the CPU... A bit odd since I never took it above 1.3V

Microcenter was cool and traded out the CPU even though it was after 30 days. Everything is working great now...

Sigh....so the CPU died, but you don't know whether it was a defective CPU, old board or PSU that killed it (like VRM taking out the cpu with it)? Just hope your new system remains reliable...

I have the same problem with my new build.

Asus P8P67
Core i5-2500k
Coolermaster Hyper212+

It worked for like a week, I overclocked the cpu to 4.2ghz by raising the turbo multiplier to 42.
Left all the voltage to the default auto setting. My cpu temp never went higher than 65deg celcius running prime95.

After a few days, it was booting Windows then turned off. And now it won't turn on. I get power to the motherboard, but when I press the power button, my case power led lit for like 1sec and nothing happens. Only my videocard fans spin for a second. I get no beep error, nothing. Bios won't post, with or without ram.

I tried another PSU, same thing. The problem is to dertermine wether it's the cpu or mobo that's causing the problem.

Reading this thread, I might try to replace the CPU before the mobo, since it looks like it was your problem.

Last edited:
I installed my cpu on a new gigabyte ud3 board, and now it's booting up fine.

final result : my p8p67 was dead after less than a week. Im extremely unlucky or asus quality has gone down.

Back