P8P67 vs P8P67 Pro

havokator

Limp Gawd
I am thinking of getting the P8P67 standard board. It is pretty much the same as the P8P67 Pro board from what I can tell except the Pro has one additional PCIe slot, SLI support, and 1 extra eSATA port. Besides these differences, is there any reason to get the Pro over the Standard version?

My main concern is will they both overclock the same?

I am only planning to run one ATi video card, so I don't need SLI or the extra PCIe slot, but I do plan on overclocking the board with an i7 2600k chip.

Thanks for the help.

asus_p8p67_spec.jpg

That's pretty much it. Just to clarify the LAN on the Pro is from Intel, on the regular it's most likely Realtek.

Also the regular lacks native eSATA ports, it appears it is only provided through a bracket.

That's pretty much it. Just to clarify the LAN on the Pro is from Intel, on the regular it's most likely Realtek.

Also the regular lacks native eSATA ports, it appears it is only provided through a bracket.

Ya, I know the eSATA is only through the bracket which is fine. The money I will save getting the standard board instead of the pro will be better spent somewhere else I believe.

As long as they both overclock the same, I'm gonna go with the P8P67 standard.

also the regular p8p67 doesn't have that the Pro has.

Coaxial audio
the second pcie x16 runs at x4 max (in regular version)
padded I/O shield (q shield)
1 x ASUS USB 3.0 Bracket
1 x ASUS SLI bridge connector

what is the "padded I/O shield (q shield)" ?

One of these guys - except it has some padded tape on the side that the motherboard rests against.

6ioshield.jpg

Not a selling point IMO. None of my other motherboards have ever come with this.

Wow, how did you even find this out? Im assuming you must have bought the board yourself.

I debated these two exact motherboards myself a few days ago, i was in a similar situation where i wanted a vanilla non-sli board that overclocked well.

I ended up getting the standard P8P67, the price was right, and there are still a plethora of features. An intel nic onboard would have been nice but i wasn't willing to pay for it. Not to mention the onboard realtek has been tested [H]ere and it's speed will be close enough to my current gigabit network anyway so... The money i saved bought me a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler.

I haven't built this rig yet so i can't comment on it's overall performance just yet.

I debated these two exact motherboards myself a few days ago, i was in a similar situation where i wanted a vanilla non-sli board that overclocked well.

I ended up getting the standard P8P67, the price was right, and there are still a plethora of features. An intel nic onboard would have been nice but i wasn't willing to pay for it. Not to mention the onboard realtek has been tested [H]ere and it's speed will be close enough to my current gigabit network anyway so... The money i saved bought me a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler.

I haven't built this rig yet so i can't comment on it's overall performance just yet.

I am also planning on building a new system with a P8P67 and Cooler Master Hyper 212+, along with an i7 2600k. I am just curious, what other components are you planning to put in your new build? It sounds like we are both doing something pretty similar.

Wait these boards all have 2+ PCI x16 slots? I thought only the Extreme IV had that. I swear I read somewhere that they only had 1 x16 and the rest were like x8 and stuff.

Wait these boards all have 2+ PCI x16 slots? I thought only the Extreme IV had that. I swear I read somewhere that they only had 1 x16 and the rest were like x8 and stuff.

You are correct. Although it says there are 2 PCIe x16 slots, the second one runs in x8 or x4 mode depending on the board.

So if you SLI/CFX with these boards, do your graphics cards "potentially" get bottlenecked because they both have to run at the same x8/x4? Meaning once can't be running x16 and the other x8/x4? Will that sigficantly decrease performance?

All except the M4E runs 8x/8x once you have two video cards installed. Performance drop isn't that noticeable, though as tests have shown during the past five years or so comparing 16x/16x vs 8x/8x.

I am also planning on building a new system with a P8P67 and Cooler Master Hyper 212+, along with an i7 2600k. I am just curious, what other components are you planning to put in your new build? It sounds like we are both doing something pretty similar.
- 2500K w/Hyper 212+ cooler
- 8gb of DDR3 1333mhz
- 80gb Intel X-25M G2 SSD (for now, will upgrade)
- 60GB Sandforce SSD (for now, will upgrade)
- Various storage drives to choose from.
- 1000w ProXStream powersupply.
- Haven't made up my mind what graphics i'll be using, I may use an older hand-me-down card for now though since i'm playing less demanding games atm.

Any reason you are running DDR3-1333 ram over DDR3-1600?
I already had it laying around. 4 x 2GB.

All four can run DDR3-1600 speed, but i only tested it in pairs, i'm not sure if i can get all four of them to run that speed together.

If not then then i'll look to upgrade to 2 x 4gb 1600mhz, hoping i don't have to though.

I never figured out what the 1155's default memory speed is (?). I don't know how much DDR3-1333 will choke it, if at all?

Last edited:
I already had it laying around. 4 x 2GB.

All four can run DDR3-1600 speed, but i only tested it in pairs, i'm not sure if i can get all four of them to run that speed together.

If not then then i'll look to upgrade to 2 x 4gb 1600mhz, hoping i don't have to though.

I never figured out what the 1155's default memory speed is (?). I don't know how much DDR3-1333 will choke it, if at all?

intel's spec states DDR3-1333 as the recommended speed, and you are correct you will see essentially no difference between 1333 and 1600. i'd stick with some 1.5V 1333 RAM.

to be more specific, the Intel Datasheet Vol. 1 states "DDR3 Data Transfer Rates: 1066 MT/s (PC3-8500), 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600)", which leads you to believe that 1066 and 1333 are supported. it's not explicitly clear in this area though, so that's not to say that 1600 won't work just fine. in fact many people around the web are running 1600 without issue. however as you can see from the article i linked, it makes no real-world difference.

Is there any difference in the OC'ing ability between these boards? I'm making the same decision now...

Pro has more VRM phases, so theoretically more stable power at higher overvolts? Same UEFI BIOS options, same software tools, other than at the extreme end, it's going to be pretty much the same.

Very possible your i5/i7 will run out of steam before needing enough voltage to see the difference, but if you're dead set on a 4.8-5.0+GHz overclock, the extra VRMs on the Pro or Deluxe might be attractive to you.

Past that, it's just if you care about CF/SLI, and/or really want the Intel NIC.

Pro has more VRM phases, so theoretically more stable power at higher overvolts? Same UEFI BIOS options, same software tools, other than at the extreme end, it's going to be pretty much the same.

Very possible your i5/i7 will run out of steam before needing enough voltage to see the difference, but if you're dead set on a 4.8-5.0+GHz overclock, the extra VRMs on the Pro or Deluxe might be attractive to you.

Past that, it's just if you care about CF/SLI, and/or really want the Intel NIC.

According to the chart the OP posted both boards have the save VRM (12+2). What's your source for VRM phases?

Misreading Asus' website, lol. I must've had the Sabertooth up in a compare with P8P67 and Pro and looked at the wrong column.

Mea culpa.

Misreading Asus' website, lol. I must've had the Sabertooth up in a compare with P8P67 and Pro and looked at the wrong column.

Mea culpa.
Haha, i figured you were trying to refer to the Deluxe's 16+2

We were all wrong :p

:confused:

Hey guys, I am also considering purchasing the P8P67 standard board from Asus.

My BIG question (as a relative noob) that I cannot figure out:

If I buy the P8P67 it's my understanding that I will be able to use it with Ivy Bridge at a lter date. My question is: when Ivy Bridge is released will mobo manufactureres be releasing a whole new range of boards specifically for Ivy Bridge or will, eg the P8P67, be the only 1155 boards made. It's really confusing me. Thank you.

Your crystal ball is just as good as ours. :p

If the current boards can, with or without a BIOS update, handle Ivy Bridge, there's not really any need to release dedicated new boards on the same chipset. The manufacturers might release updated versions just to have new SKUs with some new feature to set their New, Improved, Amazing, etc. Ivy Bridge boards apart (so that people already on Sandy Bridge will be more likely to buy new mobos along with new CPUs if they upgrade).

Will it really be necessary, or even particularly advantageous, to upgrade even if new parts are released on the same chipset? Unlikely, but possible.

Omophorus, thanks very much for your thoughts there. With that said, I'm going to go ahead with my Asus P8P67 build. If Ivy Bridge ushers in some significant advantages I'll have a compatible board that possibly may not take advantage of the nth-degree of what Ivy offers but do well enough. Thanks again.

Finally, finished building the 2500K. I bought the PRO version in January and it was a pain trying to get that set-up to work (the thing would not boot, no matter what I tried).
So, I returned the PRO and waited all this time, only to settle on the vanilla version in the end.
I needed two PCI slots next to each other for better airflow since I had to install two PCI cards for this build.
Vanilla version has padded I/O shield and USB2/E-SATA bracket as well. It feels slightly lighter than the PRO flavor.
Currently using Xigmatek Balder and Ballistix RAM (the blk/yellow modules with the temp sensor) with no clearance issues.
Couldn't be happier so far...seriously thinking about parting ways with the i7-950.
Very nice board...so far.

Last edited:
Hi,

I got my P8P67 replacement from ASUS (revision B3). And now, I can't access S.M.A.R.T HDD info. I make sure the option is enabled on bios, but nothing... nothing on the boot also.. nothing in windows. I can't access S.M.A.R.T info anymore.

Can you help me?

Finally, finished building the 2500K. I bought the PRO version in January and it was a pain trying to get that set-up to work (the thing would not boot, no matter what I tried).
So, I returned the PRO and waited all this time, only to settle on the vanilla version in the end.
I needed two PCI slots next to each other for better airflow since I had to install two PCI cards for this build.
Vanilla version has padded I/O shield and USB2/E-SATA bracket as well. It feels slightly lighter than the PRO flavor.
Currently using Xigmatek Balder and Ballistix RAM (the blk/yellow modules with the temp sensor) with no clearance issues.
Couldn't be happier so far...seriously thinking about parting ways with the i7-950.
Very nice board...so far.

I have the Pro (B3). Mine does not come with the USB2/eSATA bracket at all - but instead, the Pro now comes with a USB3 bracket. That gives me access to as many as four rear-mounted USB 3.0 ports (two already onboard, two more via the bracket). Then again, the Pro doesn't need a USB2/eSATA bracket because of the second USB3 bracket and the board already has two eSATA ports onboard (one of which is powered).

Last edited:
Back