P8P67 RevB SATA 3G problems?

tanner

n00b
So copying what I sent to asus yesterdaat vs retyping it here again on my smartphone as it would be painful to do... Curious if anybody here as experienced this before. Did do a quick search yesterday afternoon and couldn't find anything....

Mike

---------

System has been reliable for quite some time. Replaced OCZ Vertex 2 drive two weeks ago with a Samsung 830 (lost faith in OCZ drives). Two days ago, experienced issues where I was working on photos stored on this specific Western Digital drive where it looked like it was stuck reading, hard drive light was on solid, and Explorer and PHotoshop was responsive. Rebooted PC then the system would not boot. After spending a lot of time troubleshooting this, it seems if I move the Western Digital drive over from the SATA 3G port 3 to one of the two Marvell SATA 6G ports, then the system worked fine. Last night, I decided to move the drive back to port 3, and it's been working fine all day until an hour ago.

Troubleshooting, I moved the drive over to the Marvell, and started copying files from the Western Digital to another drive (RAID 0 on port 4/5), no issues for ten minutes. Shut the PC down, moved the drive (two tests, both port 3 and 2 separately of course), and the copy job failed within the first minute. Moved it back to the Marvell, and the copying went off without a hitch (using robocopy). Confirmed that the Western Digital drive is okay.

not able to test port 4/5 but i suspect that drive is okay as that is where my RAID-0 setup is on, port 0/1 have not tried either of those (one's set to use an external drive and the other a CDROM) but more concerned with the failure on port 2 and 3 right now.

I also tried updating to the latest Intel SATA drivers (latest ones from Asus's website for the P8P67) but the problems continued. Reverted back to the original drivers that came with Win7 (as it was working just fine).

Has this specific issue been seen elsewhere? I am aware of the SATA bug that Intel had to address when the first Sandy Bridge motherboard was released.

Back