P8P67 Pro caught fire

maybe a little more cautious approach to mounting a mobo is needed, blaming asus for this is not a 100% fair. Guess they can't assume all users are competent install a mobo without causing a fire, and yes i have screwed up a board or 2 myself by rushing or not checking properly.

@asw

If it was arcing to case metal, there should be evidence on the sheet metal when you take out the mobo
See anything with a careful look?

There's not a mark on the case, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't arcing to the case metal. I can't see how it's the case as there is no metal anywhere near where the motherboard caught on fire.

I was having video out issues, similar to the original poster - not sure if that's significant?

maybe a little more cautious approach to mounting a mobo is needed, blaming asus for this is not a 100% fair. Guess they can't assume all users are competent install a mobo without causing a fire, and yes i have screwed up a board or 2 myself by rushing or not checking properly.

Really? I don't even know what to say to this, so I suppose I should not say anything at all.

i remember reading this back around march, i figured this problem would be fixed, but i guess i was wrong.

I am staying away from Asus for SB, i dont wanna come home and find my house burned down to the ground. so looks like Msi, or Asrock will be my choice's

Or i will just get a Amd Socket am3+ system.

but there is no way in hell i will use a asus motherboard after reading all this.

Just be aware that Asrock is a subsidiary of Asus. Do not know if they go down the same assembly line though.

Nice that the logo is half ASUS.

ASRock_logo.png

i belive asrock and asus are 2 companies now, and not sister companies, because asrock has been coming out with soild board's and i have not heard of any Arock P67/Z68 boards catching on fire likes the asus boards

@asw
thnx for answering all my questions
I always try to rule out the obvious first to try to get to the bottom of something.
-------------------------------------------
History

ASRock was originally spun off from Asus in 2002 in order to compete with companies like ECS and Foxconn for the commodity OEM market. Since then, however, ASRock has also gained momentum in the DIY sector and plans for moving the company upstream began in 2007 following a successful IPO on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.[1]

ASRock has garnered a reputation for good value (cost/performance) with tech websites,[2] including awards and recommendations for some products.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock
------------------------------------------------
ASRock now #3
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/01/28/asrock-third-largest-motherboard-maker/1

21.600,000 for ASUS
18,000,000 for Gigabyte
8,000,000 for ASRock
----------------------------
And heres two more dead mobo with CM 212+ - this time MSI
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1632266
Guess I'll have to buy one just to see what the hell is going on there.
I know it comes with a hex wrench, which prob isnt a good idea.

Last edited:
Well figuring that cooler weighs a hefty 1.38 pounds. I just don't know why somebody would want to clamp that onto there board and let it hang there. The laws of physics do apply inside a computer case too. Overtime with the heat of the processor and the flexing of the PCB I would imagine that cooler is not helping things at all.

Back