P8p67 pro and windows 7

garyG

n00b
Guys just wanted to share with you my new build and headaches with windows.

I started building it on sunday
gskill 4gb 1600 ram
P8p67 pro Asus board
2500k intel i5
4650 ati radeon
coolermaster 212
WD 1tb caviar blue
700w ocz psu
antec 300 case

didnt really have much problem other than these
-memory light mem ok! came on and trying to reset with swtich didnt work so switched the modules around but that didnt work. The problem with single side locked dimms as i found out is even after you put them in properly it doesnt always lock down-the kep here is to try to pick it off from the other and see if it wont come out. That was the problem with one of the dimms and once that was fined didnt have any other problem.

-make sure to plug the 8 pin power connector - i forgot that one time after reseating the cpu

-my graphics card wouldnt work and the red vga light would be on all the time. This by far was the biggest problem for me. I knew its a good card cause it works on my other computer. Eventually I replaced it with gtx 460 and it was gone (whew!! what a releif that was)
Troubleshooting on graphics card >> Unplug and reseated GC many times. Unplugged all the unneccesary USB and onboard audio etc only the basic stuff was left on. when that failed built system out side the box-that failed too, tested the graphics card again on another system=worked put it back in new system didnt work. Got GTX460 that did the trick-more on a hunch than anything else after I saw on forums that it was invariably always ATI users who had problems.

_after I reseated my graphics card for about the 10th time and my cmos battery etc the cpu light came on and stayed on -kinda worrying that I had fried it up.
Took the heatsink off and cleaned the thermal paste reapplied and reset everything and it worked

Everything worked it booted and tried installing windows and what a pain it turned out to be. I ve read countless articles on how to install from USB and dvd iso etc but this POS company that charges over $100 for each install cant give a corrupt free dvd. Took it back to store (note to myself easier to buy online next time). They argued they never heard of dvd being corrupt I almost died laughing. RMA'd but didnt want to wait so by far this turned out to be longest and hardest part. In meantime I installed Linux and my sytem worked but that had some glitch too-perhaps not formatting hard drive properly and some leftovers from W7.

Anyways, finally after trying 10000 times to make iso from my DVD and failing I gave in and downloaded a torrent file and set it up and activated using genuine windows key. :) Happy now

Pretty sure system will run stable_ran for over 4 days now almost 20 hours. If I find any more issues I ll post here. Good luck to those who have p67's

You sure the ATI card problem isn't a BIOS issue?
I haven't seen anyone wtih a gigabyte board have issues posting with ATI cards.

might be a BIOS issue but when you already have everything in hand might as well build the system then wait for RMA and buy another and build another-for me it was easy since I needed to get another card anyways.

What I was trying to say is its issue with ASUS mb not with ATI card since the ATI card works with my other computer anyways.

Back