P8P67-M Pro southbridge temps

SUPERGT

Gawd
What are the normal temps for the southbridge? I felt mine after I shutdown the other day, and it was about as hot as my 295 on load (ie. can burn). From guessing relative to the 295's temps, I'd say it was around ~90C or more.

Is this normal? This is also the B3 stepping of the board.

Sigh...no replies to this?
No one has checked their boards? it's an easy check, folks...

no thermal sensor on the southbridge, so who knows...as rule, they tend to get pretty hot..

if you can touch it for around 2-5 seconds before it burns you, its about 90c. 15-20 seconds is about 70c.

Thanks Falkentyne. Actually it's probably over 90C then, Mac, as I can only really keep my finger on it for about 1-2 second max. It takes about 2-3 mins for it to get to this temperature, and then remains steady. I guess we'll have to see in the coming weeks if any damage is done, or there is any performance loss (aside from the hanging issues :rolleyes:)

SuperGT,
I just turned my computer off, and touched all over the southbridge heatsink on my GB UD5, and it was barely above room temperature. I don't even think it was even above 50C. My hard drives were hotter....

And I'm using four drives on the SATA 2 ports (one burner on SATA 3 cuz im too lazy).

There's a serious problem if yours is hot enough to boil an egg. I might even scream hardware defect here, since mine is extremely cool.

Can you go into your BIOS, and manually set the PCH voltage to 1.025v ?
Then save and use the computer for a bit.

Do the temps still feel burning hot, after doing this?

Thanks. I set it to 1.000, as the current voltage was at 1.050. Will report back later.

Regarding my SATA config: I have an x25-m on Port 1 (using SATA 3 cable), and 2 regular drives on 2 and 4. No SATA3 ports in use. The PCH voltage in BIOS also states the minimum at 0.070 something, should I try it at that if 1.000 doesn't work out?

0.0700? that's less than 1/10th of 1 volt. Did you mean 0.700?
That's WAY too low. That's even below Intel's absolute minimum.

1.050 or 1.025v is the default, and it should be fixed at that.
I don't know if it's called PCH voltage or southbridge voltage. But fix it at 1.025 or 1.050v
I have a feeling that Asus' magic overvolting is back at play....

No way it should *ever* get to 90C. Since the heatsink is feeling almost as hot as boiling water, that means it's successfully transferring heat. But it should not be transferring THAT much heat. I'd say 50-55C would be the max, and that's assuming passively cooled. All of these boards use the same chipset, unless they're somehow integrating different chipsets (Marvell, etc) under one die...

my 680i actually had a sb sensor, and it ran about 80c ocd. and that was concidered seriously f'in hot for a sb...

so at 90c, id go with seriously something wrong...

Been running it at 1.000 for a few hours, also tried 0.700 for about an hour while gaming. I even shut it down for an hour to let it cool off completely. Same temps...

I guess an RMA is imminent. I just hope that I can use the Asus advance RMA. I PM'ed one of the Asus reps here and sent a message to Asus support, and will wait to hear from them. I'm just wondering if it will burn out sometime in the next week, it's odd that there is no performance loss.

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

No problem. I just hope that the P8P67-M isn't using some cheaper power regulation or some weird PCH chipset or something. I'm actually going to ask some other people on a forum if they are getting excessive temps under the heatsink.

I do know about that one formula concerning watts and amps. If one value goes down, the second has to go up to maintain the same output. So if there's less amps going to that PCH chip than on higher end boards, then it's going to burn up...let me go ask about that, though...

P=IE

Power(watts)=I(current)*E(voltage)

in order to maintain the same power level, as current decreases, voltage must increase.

I've got a thermal probe on the southbridge heatsink on my p8p67-m pro and it sits at about 57C-63C. I slapped some arctic silver on there and it didn't really change the temp. the machine is rock solid at 4.7 so I feel its safe.

If I had to guess, since the heatsink is at 60C I'd say the chip itself is close to 80c.

Something is wrong with the OP's system, then :( A heatsink at 60C means you can keep your finger on it for longer than 2 seconds (maybe 4 seconds?). 80C is about 1-2 seconds max...which means his chip is even hotter...

I seem to be having this problem as well, and also with another board of the same model that I replaced my first one with.

SpeedFan is reading Core 0 at 37C and CPU (southbridge) at 90C. I've confirmed this with the touch-test.

I'm running 2 dual-DVI out pci-e cards on slots 1 and 3, what are you running in the graphics slots?

nevermind, I thought the P67 chipset was the southbridge. turns out my southbridge is cool to the touch. The big square heatsink far away from the CPU is the P67 chip, the southbridge is right next to the CPU. The operating temp for the P67 chip is anywhere below 103C.

hmmmmm.... i am getting this boarding in a couple of days waiting for it to arrive at my door. I will let you know if i get the same temperatures.

Back