P8P67 M Pro Build

PClark99

2[H]4U
Gotta say everything working flawless so far.

Just moved all my hardware to the new board and CPU, added a stick of RAM and boom, off to the races after installing a couple drivers.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

that build is looking nice. i was thinking about that board for a p67 build. i got a couple questions though.

does that board have any usb 3.0 headers for connecting usb 3.0 ports from a case? like the lian li v354.

also. what case is that?

also. what case is that?

The case is one of the Qmicra QV2x series (the latest model is QV2F). You can find their site here: http://www.hivelogix.com/

I'm interested in getting one myself, still weighing up the different options available. QV2F seems to accomodate the largest range of hardware and have the best cooling options, so functionally it seems to be the winner among cube style cases. For me 2 drawbacks:

1) It is one of the largest cube style cases

2) IMO one of the uglier looking cases. It just doesn't compare to the sleek designs from Lian-Li or Silverstone. Hmmm, form or function, or something inbetween, so hard to choose :\

It is an earlier revision Qmicra V2. The aesthetics aren't everyone's cup of team but man this case works.

The only USB3.0 headers are external on the rear of the motherboard. All the internal USB headers are 2.0.

So far everything working fine at 4GHz.

How did you fit the Zalman 9700 (LGA 775) cooler into that LGA 1155 board?

how are you enjoying that asus board? i notice on the forums that it seems like a good number of people are having issues with their asus motherboards. have you had any problems?

I thought from the pictures the PCB would be black, but it seems to be brown. Or is it just the lighting?

Good to see it handles 4xdimms and also has heatsink clearance, since if I get this board I'd plan to eventually go 4x as well.

Hows the on board sound? As I understand the Pro boards use a more recent and better Realtek chip?

I'm following this thread. I may get this mobo and try it out if it proves to be a good one. Thinking maybe either a A04 case or a V354. A new Qmicra would be about $80 more than a V354 and about $120 more than a A04. I don't feel like being that spendy these days. Torture it hard, Clark! :)

Following this thread as well. Got the Lian Li V354 and I am planning on doing some fairly heavy overclocking with it. Hoping 4.8Ghz is doable :)

But same concerns about Asus boards here. As a p5k-fanboi it's hard for me to accept the rumours about Asus boards being unsuitable for high multiplier overclocking.

One issue I can see is the mATX p67 Asus boards don't seem to have the same Digital VRM and 12 phase power of the Asus P67 and up. I'm not sure how much this will effect OCing in practice however.

It is one thing that is giving me pause going mATX or at least waiting for a slightly higher end board comes out.

When I get home tonight I will try for 4.8 to see if I can make all of you happy!!!

I don't have too much to report, but I put 0601 on last night and just wanted to test some stability with a new build, so I ran prime for a few hours and everything appears to be good. I will do further testing this weekend.

I wonder how this mobo would handle two GTX460 in SLI? I have a new unopened Gigabyte one lying about. Never done dual GPU build before. Might be fun to try it out. Also for those that have this mobo how is the onboard sound? In the past I have always bought a sound card but to save space and cost I'm thinking of using onboard sound only. Should be good enough for gaming, right?

Onboard sound is fine for gaming.

The PCExpress will revert to 8x/8x if you SLI. I don't think it affects real world performance significantly though. But I am no expert in that regard. One 6950 flashed to 6970 is enough for me, I ain't greedy. ;)

Onboard sound is fine for gaming.

The PCExpress will revert to 8x/8x if you SLI. I don't think it affects real world performance significantly though. But I am no expert in that regard. One 6950 flashed to 6970 is enough for me, I ain't greedy. ;)

Thanks for that info, Clark. Reason why I asked is because I found a 28" LCD (1920x1200) for $250 and I was thinking if I use this GTX460 would it be enough for gaming at 1920x1200 resolutions? If not I could add a second GTX460 for $189 or so. That'd be a fairly cheap solution. I may need to forgo a GTX460 however and get something more powerful and thats what I need to explore, One 460, 2x460, or something more powerful? And yes, I'll go and read up on the 16x vs x8/x8 issues again. :)

Thanks for that info, Clark. Reason why I asked is because I found a 28" LCD (1920x1200) for $250 and I was thinking if I use this GTX460 would it be enough for gaming at 1920x1200 resolutions? If not I could add a second GTX460 for $189 or so. That'd be a fairly cheap solution. I may need to forgo a GTX460 however and get something more powerful and thats what I need to explore, One 460, 2x460, or something more powerful? And yes, I'll go and read up on the 16x vs x8/x8 issues again. :)

x8/x8 is just fine for SLI, Especially on 1 monitor at that res a GTX 460 should be good, I'd take a look at a GTX 560 Ti and maybe a Radeon 6950 as well. Cheaper then SLI and probably as much for the res as you need maybe Overkill....

x8/x8 is just fine for SLI, Especially on 1 monitor at that res a GTX 460 should be good, I'd take a look at a GTX 560 Ti and maybe a Radeon 6950 as well. Cheaper then SLI and probably as much for the res as you need maybe Overkill....

Yeah, I was just surfing around trying to find one single card thats better than two 460 in SLI. Trying to find charts showing the newer cards compared to the older ones. Btw, sorry if if I'm highjacking the thread. Its not my intent.

Yeah, I was just surfing around trying to find one single card thats better than two 460 in SLI. Trying to find charts showing the newer cards compared to the older ones. Btw, sorry if if I'm highjacking the thread. Its not my intent.

No worries.

I think Mosher is right though you are probably better off with a single card solution.

I have been using an HD6950 for the last couple weeks and it pushes 1920x1200 flawlessly.

Okay, after reading the various threads, charts, and benches I have come to the conclusion of two things. 1) Running two GPUs in 8x8 will not bottleneck my system. 2) 460 SLI is slightly faster than say, one GTX480.

So in my particular situation since I already have a GTX460 (1GB) lying about unused it would be cheaper for me to buy another identical one for about $189 as opposed to spending $400 on a single card that will do about the same or slightly less as two 460s. Problem solved. As far as I'm concerned. Now I just need to figure out how much PSU I need for 460SLI which I'm sure I can figure out. :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

Edit: And I agree a single GPU is generally better than dual GPUs and it is what I prefer but this time its a little different situation for me.

seeing some weird delays when accessing hard drives on the Sata2 ports.

I was gonna ride it out and wait till april to exchange the board but now I think I am just gonna return it now and wait it out.

If you can just move everything to the Sata3 (6gb/s) ports, reportedly they are not affected by the bug.

So far so good on my machine, but I do need to move my optical drive to a 6gbs port

seeing some weird delays when accessing hard drives on the Sata2 ports.

I was gonna ride it out and wait till april to exchange the board but now I think I am just gonna return it now and wait it out.

Actually looking at your sig.... if you have an optical drive you are going to have at least one device on a 3gb/s port cause I think there are only 3 6gb/s ports on the board. Unless you can leave a drive or the optical drive unplugged.

Monday night I had ordered this mobo and a 2500K cpu. Tuesday NE sent out the order minus the mobo and cpu. Now I have to wait until April looks like before I can complete my build. I guess I'm lucky compared to those that already have the mobo but I would have preferred that NE held the entire order up. I could have held onto all my money. Oh, well. I hope you get it fixed soon, PClark.

Monday night I had ordered this mobo and a 2500K cpu. Tuesday NE sent out the order minus the mobo and cpu. Now I have to wait until April looks like before I can complete my build. I guess I'm lucky compared to those that already have the mobo but I would have preferred that NE held the entire order up. I could have held onto all my money. Oh, well. I hope you get it fixed soon, PClark.

I am not worried. My backup rig is more than sufficient to get me by.

I am not worried. My backup rig is more than sufficient to get me by.

Ok, so you do have a back up rig? Thats good. I can wait for a while as well since my buy was more of a nicety than a necessity. Just have to hunker down and wait till they refill the supply line again. :)

Jeez, April is when the new Sandy Bridge supplies are coming out? That sucks. Intel really screwed the pooch on this one, lol. At least they admitted fault though I suppose. I was hoping to upgrade to Sandy Bridge this month but when I heard about the bug I figured it was probably out of the question.

Jeez, April is when the new Sandy Bridge supplies are coming out? That sucks. Intel really screwed the pooch on this one, lol. At least they admitted fault though I suppose. I was hoping to upgrade to Sandy Bridge this month but when I heard about the bug I figured it was probably out of the question.

Even though I have adequate backup its gonna be a long 2 months.

Back