P6T i7 Slow performance and Windows installs

Prose

Weaksauce
Hey Gents,

Noticed there was a similar thread to this one on the forums but I wanted to find out if my situation is a little bit different.

Basically a week ago I got around to finally updated my dated system. I picked up:

- Intel Core I7 920 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.66GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S
- ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
- OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV6GK 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Triple Channel Memory Kit
- XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB 850MHZ 1GB 3.9GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDTV Video Card
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1500GB 1.5TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache NCQ Hard Drive OEM
- LG GH22NS30 Black DVD+RW 22X8X16 DVD-RW 22X6X16 DL 16X/12X 2MB SATA OEM

My power source is a much older PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC 510w (max 650 out).

I've also got a very old IDE WD 80gb IDE hard drive from my old machine in this box.

So here is the issue. After installing all of the hardware I booted up into my current (old) Vista 32bit build, installed the chipset drivers, video drivers, etc. Everything works just fine. Seems a little slower than I'd like but hey, I plan format to the new SATA drive with either windows vista x64 or Windows 7 x64 anyways. Enjoyed playing a few games with the settings cranked, and overall was getting pretty stoked.

Formatting time. I removed my IDE HD, and started to install the 7057 Windows 7x64 on the SATA HD on a new 200gb partition i made for it. The install process was PAINFULLY slow. I had previously installed this version of windows using the same CD to another laptop and it finished in 25-30 mins. Here we're talking over an hour.

I'm trying to map out a series of problem solving steps for when I get home from work this afternoon to deal with this problem. I'm always short on time so I'd really like to get this sorted out and start enjoying the new hardware. I'm pretty sure I need a new PSU anyways (no problem) but I'm not sure it is the root of the problem. If anyone here has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it as well as helping me outline some steps.

Thanks in advance!

Heh well here's an update:

Before heading to work today I queued up a LongDST using the Seagate HD tools to check out the health of the HD. It has failed and the HD is now failing to appear in the Device Manager or anywhere else for that matter. Sounds like the problem was the HD afterall.

Out of curiosity, however, would this be due to just a poor HD or lack of power from the PSU or anything else?

Thanks again,

You may have the power saving features turned on EIST and CEIST in the bios.

Back