P67A/AHCI BIOS does not detect Intel G1 SSD...

veritas7

Gawd
SOLVED: Following the the posts below, it appears Gen 1 Intel X25-M SSDs are incompatible with the P67 PCH 6Gbps ports! :(

Hello all! Before I proceed, here's my (current in progress) rig:
Core i7 2600K
GIGABYTE P67A-UD4-B3 1.1 (updated to F4 BIOS from F2 stock)
2x4GB DDR3-1333 G.SKILL Ripjaw X
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 580
Intel G1 SSD SSDSA2MH080G1GC

THE PROBLEM:

I first used HDDErase 3.3 to reset my SSD performance following the guide >here<

My Intel SSD is not showing up in the BIOS when I enable AHCI in the BIOS. The Intel AHCI BIOS hangs after Port 0 (of 6), but says there's 1 Device connected (but after the hang, it says it found no devices and does not list the SSD).

The SSD has been tried on Ports 0 or 1 (the Intel P67 SATA6 ports, NOT any Marvell controller)

WHAT I TRIED:
1. Tried Ports 0 and 1.
2. Updating BIOS from F2 to F4.
3. Using "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M" for about 10 seconds (wiping the first 1.5GB sectors) in linux
4. Letting the SSD sit connected to PSU power for about an hour (apparently maybe the firmware needs to do some cleanup in "idle")
5. Used HDDErase 3.3 again and used the FIRST option (secure erase rather than what I did before, option 2, the "enhanced secure erase")
6. Tried normal HDD in IDE and AHCI mode. Intel AHCI and BIOS IDE both detected the same old Seagate hard drive I had.

WHAT'S GOING ON STILL:
It still doesn't show up!
5. Now trying letting it sit in an external USB enclosure after having done a Quick Format (NTFS with Default sectors, aka 4K byte sectors)
6. (UPDATED) Back now with the format with idling off my PSU.

Anyone have any other ideas? Last ditch effort is RMAing (if even possible since I bought this through the company I worked for [with a discount] in 2009 so I don't have any proof of purchase).

Last edited:
Why was my thread moved to Data Storage?

I daresay I won't even get a reply now with anyone bothering to help.

no clue... But we can still see it in general hardware... Although im not sure what to tell u... U might also wanna try anandtechs highly technical thread for.more help tho

I had the same problem with the G1.
G2 works fine.

Move it to one of the SATA 3G/S instead of the 6G/S ports, it should be ok.

I have had this same problem.. Is it really just moving the SSD to 3G/S ports? I guess I never did try that..

Yup.
No matter what I did, for the life of me I couldnt make it work on the 6G/S port.Different BIOS versions, different cables etc.
Any of the 3G ports worked fine though.

Thanks guys. I will try it on a 3G port later after work.

That's kind of silly that Intel's own chipset can't even work with their older model G1 SSDs... oh well!

Hopefully then none of my other hard drives (all WD except a 1.5TB drive by Seagate) will be correctly detected. Will report back later!

I had the same problem with the G1.
G2 works fine.

Move it to one of the SATA 3G/S instead of the 6G/S ports, it should be ok.

Relating to this note... If I was interested in upgrading my capacity (I have an 80 gig) should I go for the new (older) X-25Ms or the new 320/510s?

Weird I have my Intel Gen 1 80GB drive on my MSI G65 P67 board with no issues. Not sure if I used a 3G or 6G port. It really should not matter as the port will just drop to 3G speed. It sounds like a bios issue to me.

Back