p67-ud3p start up problem with 6850

slideways666

Limp Gawd
Building up a new system.. gigabyte p67-ud3p and using a asus eah6850 gpu... Problem is-- the computer wont turn over when i hit the power button and the 6850 is on the motherboard... If i take the 6850 off the board but leave it plugged into the psu-- the whole system turns over and runs fine.. If i use another gpu-- the system runs fine and the screen runs np.. If I remove the working gpu and plug the 6850 back into the board-- the system wont start up.. The fans just wiggle a bit then that is it.. If i unplug the 6850-- then everything starts up just fine...

so--- What do you think it is? yes i have everything plugged onto the mobo(pci power in-- main power supply in).. Do you think its the mobo that for some reason cant handle the 6850 or do you think its the 6850 that has problems...

The part that is weird is-- the 6850 and the computer wont start up with the 6850 plugged into the mobo.. But if i unplug it and keep the power plugged into the 6850 card-- the whole system starts up just fine..

tried a different PCI-express slot? if you have and it does the same thing then the card is almost definitely bad.

I don't know what's wrong, but there's a setting in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Features, for "Init Display First" where you select PCI (the default), PCIe x4, and PCIe x16. Try saving the x16 option while the working card is inserted, then swap it for the 6850 and see if it boots.

Hardly-- i tried both slots on the mobo.. If the gpu is in either of those slots -- the computer wont start.. Though if i have the gpu off of the mobo-- yet still plugged into the psu-- everying starts right up.. So this would lead me to believe the pus is ok-- since it can power everything up.. I dont think its the pci slot-- cause they both work with the other (old nv) gpu..

Drexl-- i tried your suggestion-- but ended up with the same results..

As far as being able to handle the video card, any PCI-E X16 slot would work with it. You are completely sure the 6850 is in working condition?

Back